Author Topic: Reverse Percussion Lock?  (Read 2997 times)

Offline Chris Treichel

Reverse Percussion Lock?
« on: January 24, 2017, 05:52:23 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of the guts/inside of one of these reverse locks. I assume the tumbler is reversed to cause the hammer to fall towards the mainspring.

ron w

Re: Reverse Percussion Lock?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 06:04:24 PM »
beyond simply being different, ...what would be the advantage of reversing the hammer fall ?.  might it be the idea that a very long sear lever arm would make extremely light and controllable trigger pressures ?...or is it the idea that the blow-by is directed away from the shooter's face ?. beyong those two ideas, I really see no other advantage.  just wondering.

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 06:26:35 PM »
Just curiosity on my part. I have seen flintlocks and even wheelocks where the mechanism is all internal. In some ways it simplifies the action.
Here is a picture of a Nock screwless lock... I am wondering if turning the percussion lock about would do something similar.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:31:57 PM by Chris Treichel »

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 06:33:05 PM »
here is a picture of a Nock screwless lock with the mainspring and inside cover removed
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:33:43 PM by Chris Treichel »

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 04:11:48 PM »
Go figure... you start talking about it and find nothing and all of a sudden someone else starts talking about this one which may have been used to convert a wheelock to percussion pictures by Eckart Christiansen. Lock plate is 19x5cm name is Joh. Rainer in Leibnitz

They also build Flintlocks like this but... this one is missing a few pieces

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 04:19:17 PM »
That comment about making the lock simpler... yea, that does not look simpler... rather more complicated just to turn the hammer about.

Offline EC121

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 06:52:01 PM »
I turned the lock around on a target pistol to help prevent the hammer fall from pulling the muzzle down.  On a rifle it might just be a variation by the gunsmith.  The wheelock conversion is a great idea also.  It would have saved a lot of nice wheelocks.  Also no winder key to lose.
Brice Stultz

broken arrow

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 08:54:50 PM »
A google search for "bondini" or "bondini rifle" will turn up pics of newer repros and originals that were made this way.
Apparently this family was known for their target rifles back in the old country.

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 10:11:46 PM »
I think I saw one of those Bondini schuetzen rifles at Dixon's a few years ago.

Turtle

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 02:09:28 AM »
didn't pedrosoli make a repo target pistol with a reversed hammer?