Author Topic: Signing ones work  (Read 9276 times)

Offline JCKelly

Re: Signing ones work
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2017, 04:34:08 AM »
Published information on the properties of 12L14 and how appropriate it is for a gun barrel has been available to muzzle loading barrel makers since 1985. See Muzzle Blasts Oct, Nov, Dec 1985.

If someone is crippled by a burst barrel, even though it be the shooter's fault, a good lawyer will find that information. Few muzzle loaders believe such stuff, but in the cold hard world of engineering, viewpoints differ.

It is only my guess that it would likely be the barrel maker who might have occasion to mull over such things.

Sad that we now lack one with the considerable testosterone level of the late John Baird.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2017, 05:43:38 AM »
Mr. Kelly, did you get my PM?
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2017, 07:31:32 PM »
El Nathan - Just read it. I have no data on 86L20. Nevertheless that lead addition (the "L") won't harm toughness even remotely as much as the phosphorus and sulphur in 12L14.

8620 in general is widely used for gears, more correctly pinions, which are case hardened. It is a very popular grade for various aerospace applications. One may get Aerospace Quality 8620 from various distributors who cater to aerospace.

All I can say for sure is you are headed in the right direction.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2017, 09:48:36 PM »
Alright, thank you. That is encouraging.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

WV_Mountaineer

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2017, 02:36:05 AM »
Been waiting for more on this subject for a while.  Hope to get it back on track with this comment.  With no more negative news than presented, it would appear that the issue of liability for gun builder's is extremely low ( no one is posting that they have been litigated against).  As a general question, do you as a gun builder operate under an LLC, carry general liability insurance, or are also gambler's on the low odds?  While I have minimal resources, I would prefer to hold on them in my waning years!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2017, 03:10:31 AM »
Been waiting for more on this subject for a while.  Hope to get it back on track with this comment.  With no more negative news than presented, it would appear that the issue of liability for gun builder's is extremely low ( no one is posting that they have been litigated against).  As a general question, do you as a gun builder operate under an LLC, carry general liability insurance, or are also gambler's on the low odds?  While I have minimal resources, I would prefer to hold on them in my waning years!
I would take a wild guess and say most full time builders are trying to avoid any comment.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2017, 03:14:03 AM »
Some of these things are best discussed face to face.
Andover, Vermont

WV_Mountaineer

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2017, 02:49:47 PM »
Sound Wisdom!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2017, 03:39:53 PM »
I have $50.00 for anybody who can document a barrel blowing out at a dovetail at anytime in the past. Even modern gun barrel don't do that at 63000psi.  The surrounding metal gives too much support. Many antique shotgun barrels were less than .032" thick for the last 12".  If you blow a dove tail it will be in the Guiness book of records.

The modern gun barrel assuming it is a smokeless powder type will be made from
dedicated steels for that one use.

Bob Roller

Offline Goo

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2017, 04:37:26 PM »
I have $50.00 for anybody who can document a barrel blowing out at a dovetail at anytime in the past. Even modern gun barrel don't do that at 63000psi.  The surrounding metal gives too much support. Many antique shotgun barrels were less than .032" thick for the last 12".  If you blow a dove tail it will be in the Guiness book of records.

Didn't blow - but rung - an early 15/16" .50 Bauska barrel, dovetail too deep, bulged in the barrel wedge dovetail. Never loaded without seating on the powder. The dovetail was 12" or 13" ahead of the breech. Load was 80gr. 3F over a tightly patched round ball.

I heard the rule on fffg was .45 calibre and under, 0.50 calibre and over ffg Is this correct?.   Maybe there was too much powder?
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.