Author Topic: Winchester, VA inspired rifle....  (Read 7962 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Winchester, VA inspired rifle....
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 01:48:12 AM »
 "Not a lot of bells and whistles on this one..." don't need them on this one Ed, a Real beauty, great Architecture does not need to be Gaudyed up! Beautiful rifle, Very much in the Winchester theme.

Tim

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2017, 01:51:15 AM »
Having said that, I've seen more than a few "Valley guns" with Germanic locks, especially ones of an earlier nature.  Remember too, there was a substantial amount of "Germanic" immigration into the Valley from both the Great Wagon Road, as well as through the James River basin.
Yes I agree that some of the early Valley guns had Germanic locks. Plus some had locks that look Germanic (i.e. Siller'ish) but with English style rounded pans.

I built one of the "Feather" rifles that Reaves Goehring had that was attributed to the Valley of VA. When I bought the BP & TG for it he said he also had castings of the lock. I purchased one of the lock plates so I could modify some other lock to come pretty close to it. (Like a dummy I didn't buy the rest of the parts). I found it was very close to a regular Siler but a little longer. Finally used a early Ketland (which was a little longer) and modified it to be a fairly close match. If I remember correctly the pan was English, rounded style.

I later had Sam Everly put Siler parts on that plate and when you lay it down beside a Siler I can't tell any difference except for the length of the plate.
Dennis
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 01:53:07 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2017, 04:01:51 PM »
Thats a beautiful gun an talent is just ozzing out of it everywhere. Carving is excellent
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2017, 10:56:51 PM »
That fine rifle is a beauty!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2017, 02:06:36 AM »
Another beauty Ed!  I love the carving.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline gusd

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2017, 05:16:42 PM »
Love the toe plate!!
Gus