Author Topic: Sad Day  (Read 4310 times)

Goose

Sad Day
« on: February 19, 2017, 09:35:59 PM »
Today is a sad day as we lost another gun builder. Bill Daniel passed away yesterday morning.  Many of you here on the forum probably dont even know Bill, he didnt post much. For those who remember the threads concerning the Hunts For Healing posts, and in particular the flintlock season with the veterans,  Bill was deeply involved with that program. He was largely responsible for getting a few of us builders together to build and donate a half dozen or so guns so the veterans would have good quality guns to hunt with. He also devoted many hours mentoring the soldiers, putting on drives during the season. Another program he was responsible for is "The Gun Build". He and Ed Wenger were planning to spend some time at the HFH facility helping vets learn how to build a flintlock rifle, they are to be built using kits from Jim Kibler. This was scheduled for next week. It has been rescheduled for March. He will be sorely missed.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Sad Day
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 09:40:04 PM »
Bill will be missed.One of the truly great guys I've met along the trail.............I'm a better person for knowing you Bill.Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mitch

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 09:45:08 PM »
My condolences, I do remember Hunts for healing posts,sad indeed to lose good folk

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 09:52:33 PM »
I knew Bill from this forum where he went by "Bill D" and by meeting him in person at several different shows. He was always a gentleman and I considered him a friend. He will be missed. He contributed a lot of time/expense in working with "Hunts for Healing" and he will certainly be missed in that regard as well.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 10:02:08 PM »
Sad news, indeed.  For those of you who didn't know Bill personally, you might remember him from Dixon's.  He was the guy who helped Dave Keck with his table.  Wonderful man, and will be truly missed.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline B.Habermehl

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 10:42:20 PM »
We lose another good man. I regret not taking a bit more time chatting with him at the Lewisburg show. He will be sorely missed. Is there any information about services? BJH
BJH

Goose

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 11:00:45 PM »
Haven't heard any news regarding final arrangements. I know Bills desire was to be cremated. If I hear anything more I will pass it on.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 11:25:46 PM »
Truly a day of mourning.  I met Bill years ago on one of my treks to the east side of the country.  Bill always had time to visit so we could catch up on our many projects.  I did several small jobs for Bill over the years and he was always very appreciative.  God Bless you Bill.  You will be missed.
David

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 12:52:38 AM »
I only knew Bill thru this forum and the HFH, but I'm very sorry to hear of his passing.

God bless him. And may he rest in peace.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 02:41:54 AM »
  Sad to say I never met Bill. People like him are a gift to us all. May he rest in peace.   Oldtravler

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 03:10:18 AM »
Sorry to hear of the loss of this fine gentleman. I never met him,but he did a lot of good work for a lot of people. Our prayers go out for him and all that mourn his loss.....Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Goose

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 03:14:33 AM »
BJH, as I understand it there will be no service. Just cremation and a small private sevice for immediate family.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 09:12:30 PM »
Katherine and I are saddened by this news.  I first met bill at a carving class Ian and I held at the Log Cabin Shop.  This was probably eight or ten years ago.  Over the years I had a bit more contact with Bill through the Hunts for Healing and more recently with our kit guns.  Bill was a kind man and will be missed.  It was always nice to catch up with him at Lewisburg.  It was such a short while ago that we were talking to him there.  Things can happen quickly, I guess...

Jim

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 11:57:04 PM »
Sad day indeed - RIP Bill. My condolences to his family and many friends, here and abroad.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline draken

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 12:33:30 AM »
I never had the pleasure of knowing Bill, but nonetheless it saddens me to hear of his passing. 
May his soul rest in peace.
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline gusd

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 05:05:06 PM »
So sorry to here of Bill's passing, he was a very nice man.
Always talked to him at Dave Kecks table.
Gus