Author Topic: Rappahannock Forge wall gun, circa 1776  (Read 4590 times)

Offline Ecramer

• Starting Member
Rappahannock Forge wall gun, circa 1776
« on: February 16, 2017, 08:00:22 PM »
Some time ago there was a thread here for those building wall guns, and I promised some photos and measurements to those builders. My apologies for the long delay, access to the piece in question was more complicated than I had originally thought. The following pictures are my humble attempt to get some general measurements off an original piece in support of builders.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 11:02:16 PM by Ecramer »

Offline Ecramer

• Starting Member
Re: Rappahannock Forge wall gun, circa 1776
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 08:08:42 PM »
I need help -- can't figure out how to post a photo. Clicking on the images icon isn't working. My apologies.

If you follow this link, it will take you to a picture of the muzzle on photobucket:

=143752988&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=6]http://s173.photobucket.com/user/Eric_Cramer/media/major%20diam_zpspiifu7cn.jpg.html?filters[user]=143752988&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=6
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:34:34 PM by Ecramer »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »
Remove everything before the "http" and after the "html"

http://s173.photobucket.com/user/Eric_Cramer/media/major%20diam_zpspiifu7cn.jpg.html
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 10:22:41 PM »
If you go to your album (not the slide show) and pass your cursor over the upper left corner of the picture,  A drop box will appear.  Choose Share and copy the address.  Then paste it into your ALR message.  Do this for each individual picture and make sure each is on a separate line.  It will show each picture.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 10:42:37 PM »

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:48:57 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ecramer

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 10:46:08 PM »
Thank you! This is my first effort on this and I simply didn't know how to proceed.

Offline Ecramer

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 10:47:31 PM »

Finally, my fifth effort. This is an attempt to show the flat-to-flat measurement at the breach.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:55:26 PM by Ecramer »

Offline Ecramer

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 10:58:09 PM »
Mr. Pierce. Thank you again. The photos you displayed for me are a caliper measurement of the major barrel interior diameter, the length of the sideplate, which is about 6.5 inches and exceeded my calipers; and the width and configuration of the buttplate.

Offline Ecramer

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 10:59:03 PM »
Flat to flat measurement at the muzzle. The barrel IS slightly swamped.

Offline Ecramer

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 11:00:18 PM »
This is the rather elementary data plate the museum (The Rock Island Arsenal Museum) puts with the weapon on display.

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 11:00:23 PM »
Long time ago I emailed someone at West Point about examining their Rappahanock Forge wall gun. I was on a wall gun kick at that time. I never got the chance to do it, but the curator was very helpful and sounded willing to set something up. Thanks for the pics, always loved those wallguns.
Greg

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 06:55:38 PM »
What's most significant about this rifle is it's association with the signed Klette rifle.  I understand Klette was part of Rappahannock forge for a period of time and it seems his stylistic influence is visible on this rifle.  I recall Gary Brumfield and Wallace mentioning this.  It would be nice to see more photos which show mountings (guard), architecture and carving if any is present.

Jim

Offline Longknife

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 07:39:00 PM »
 George Washington acquired several wall guns during the American War of Independence; tests showed that they were capable of hitting a sheet of common writing paper at 600 yards . I would sure like to try that!
Ed Hamberg

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 08:20:14 PM »
The bore measurement of this gun would be in the 1.100 range - making it a sloppy 4 bore., shooting a true 1/4 pound ball with cloth patch, of course.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 10:28:35 PM »
I agree with what Jim said about the significance of these wall guns and the Klette rifle.  Frederick Klette did indeed work at the Rappahannock Forge, apparently in a shop foreman/supervisor type of position.  James Hunter was the owner of the facility.  The Trigger guards of the wall guns and the Klette rifle are virtually identical.  The butt piece and side plate are also very similar.  I don't recall any carving on the wall guns, with the possible exception of a beavertail around the tang.  Mr. Klette shows up in the census records of Stevensburg, VA, shortly after the closing of the Rappahannock Forge, which coincided with the end of the Rev War.   
Ed Wenger

Offline Ecramer

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 06:36:38 PM »
What's most significant about this rifle is it's association with the signed Klette rifle.  I understand Klette was part of Rappahannock forge for a period of time and it seems his stylistic influence is visible on this rifle.  I recall Gary Brumfield and Wallace mentioning this.  It would be nice to see more photos which show mountings (guard), architecture and carving if any is present.

Jim

I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to move it around, so I can't invert it to take pictures of the guard. The curator believes the sideplate and butt plate are reproductions made in the 1970s, and she thinks at Williamsburg (but any work to the gun was not documented for curation).