Author Topic: Barrel breech inletting  (Read 4996 times)

rogerpjr

Barrel breech inletting
« on: February 14, 2017, 12:22:33 AM »
A few of us in the local club were talking about building guns the other day and a bit of a disagreement came up concerning inletting the breech end of the barrel.  Many of us said we always left the breech plug in and just inlet everything at once.  Others said they remove the plug and inlet the barrel only to get things square and to the depth they want.  Then they put the plug back in and inlet it.

Are there any opinions out there on which is really the best way to do this process?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Barrel breech inletting
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 12:39:55 AM »
I prefer to inlet the barrel separate from the breech plug.  Once I have the barrel inlet, I then  seat the breech end of the barrel to the stock.  Once I have a good fit between the end of the barrel and stock I install the breech plug and inlet it.  I like the idea of having the barrel seated prior to inletting the flared plug, less chance of unsightly gaps in the tang.  Of course, I am deliberative and prefer doing one thing at a time.  I inlet my locks one piece at a time as well. 
I am sure the majority of the answers to follow will lean towards inletting the barrel and tang as a unit and the lock as one piece to save time.  Everyone wants to say they are like Mark Silver since he came out with his DVE on traditional gunstocking.  As for me, no one ever questions how long I took you to do something when the results are stellar.
David       

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 12:47:58 AM »
I prefer to inlet the barrel separate from the breech plug.  Once I have the barrel inlet, I then  seat the breech end of the barrel to the stock.  Once I have a good fit between the end of the barrel and stock I install the breech plug and inlet it.  I like the idea of having the barrel seated prior to inletting the flared plug, less chance of unsightly gaps in the tang.  Of course, I am deliberative and prefer doing one thing at a time.  I inlet my locks one piece at a time as well. 
I am sure the majority of the answers to follow will lean towards inletting the barrel and tang as a unit and the lock as one piece to save time.  Everyone wants to say they are like Mark Silver since he came out with his DVE on traditional gunstocking.  As for me, no one ever questions how long I took you to do something when the results are stellar.
David     
Ditto. Great minds think alike.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 12:56:13 AM »
I also inlet my barrel first, then reinstall the plug and inlet it next. I guess I'm just set in my ways. Just always done it this way. Always liked to see that the end of the barrel was a tight fit before I went farther.........Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 02:40:52 AM »
Better to do the barrel first. There's enough going on there keeping a barrel straight and level without compounding things by adding a breech plug.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline PPatch

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 03:35:07 AM »
Barrel first, then tang.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline flehto

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 03:49:12 AM »
bbl first then tang....Fred

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 07:17:58 AM »
Yep barrel first then seat the breech plug back in the barrel and fit the breech plug.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline rsells

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 08:51:29 AM »
I inlet the barrel first then install the plug and fit the assembly.
                                                                         Roger Sells

galudwig

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 03:38:54 PM »
As for me, no one ever questions how long I took you to do something when the results are stellar.
David     

This is one of the best quotes about gun building I've ever seen. I'm going to use this as my excuse for being such a slowpoke... ;)

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 03:52:15 PM »
I would add that doing them together is only an option if you do it yourself. If you have any of the talented people inlet them for you, you have to do the breech plug separate. I've tried it both ways. I like doing it as one piece, but it took me sooooooooooooooo long to do because of all the different surfaces your watching all at once.
Greg

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 04:12:53 PM »
Barrel first then the tang.  Lock bolster first then the plate then one part at a time.  Etc.  One thing at a time. 

Offline delivered

• Old Hawkeye :(
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 05:19:41 PM »
This is along the line of inletting the breech plug?
Taper on breech plug bolster? A friend order a kit that came with a Rice barrel and the breech plug has no draft for inletting. I though most barrel makers were adding draft. I'v got him filing draft on it to get a better inlet.
This is his first build:)

"Ruining the future for liberals, one child at a time."

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 06:49:06 PM »
I have done it both ways but agree with the posters here, barrel first, then plug/tang for me. I doubt there is much of a time advantage doing it either way. Either way you are doing the same inletting, just at different intervals.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline t.caster

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 09:27:26 PM »
Ditto what Mr. Rase said in the 1st response. Also you must file some draft angle on the bolster and tang if it didn't come that way.
Tom C.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 01:38:06 AM »
I guess that I am really the contrarian here.    I inlet my barrel with the breech plug installed.   It is the first thing that is inlet and it guides the rest of the barrel inlet.   I also inlet my locks assembled.   I do it that way because Wallace Gusler gave me a hard time for doing it the other way.   Who am I to argue?

Of course,  if you do a machine or semi-machine inlet,  you need to do the barrel first and then the breech plug and tang.   I do everything myself and by hand. 

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 02:17:33 AM »

Of course,  if you do a machine or semi-machine inlet,  you need to do the barrel first and then the breech plug and tang.   

Not really. I can machine inlet the barrel and plug with formed tang at the same time. All is needed is to cut in any square corner areas of the tang by hand.

ron w

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 07:14:45 PM »
if you're hand inletting, the barrel must be inlet to some extent, first. the barrel locates the plug and tang in relation to the barrel channel. even if you inlet both at the same time, the barrel gets partially inlet first and that guides the breech plug's inletting alignment to the barrel channel.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 09:10:32 PM »
if you're hand inletting, the barrel must be inlet to some extent, first. the barrel locates the plug and tang in relation to the barrel channel. even if you inlet both at the same time, the barrel gets partially inlet first and that guides the breech plug's inletting alignment to the barrel channel.

I don't do it that way.   I almost always inlet the recoil lug, and about an inch of the breech to get the barrel down to the point that it is resting in a groove that will allow the attachment of the barrel guides.   I cut away all the wood above the centerline of the barrel so that I don't have that to cut through.    Everything is laid out in pencil on the stock.   I know where everything needs to go.    I really do inlet the breech plug and the breech of the barrel at the same time.    The result is good, or at least, I think it is good.  I guess others could argue about that.   

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 11:23:50 PM »
 When I did it by hand I did the barrel first. I now do it by machine and do the whole thing at once. However when done by machine the final touches must be done by hand because of the shape of the cutter it will not get in the tight corners of the plug. I also have my cutter set to cut slightly under size.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.