Author Topic: Southwest Virginia Percussion for a Buddy  (Read 2818 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Southwest Virginia Percussion for a Buddy
« on: February 22, 2017, 06:28:39 PM »
Hello all,

This is my latest creation. I have built it as a gift for a friend of mine.  I looked at some images of originals and contemporary works for the inspiration.  I made it a percussion because the friend I am making it for would probably not feel comfortable with a flintlock, despite my attempts to win him over.  The buddy is a Vietnam Vet and lifelong plumber by trade, and he has always been good to me so I wanted to do this.  Gary Rummell inspired the use of copper, which I thought was fitting since he is a plumber. 

The specifics are,

The barrel is a Rice southern class, in .45.  The locks is a Chamber's percussion, the buttplate is from Track, but I heavily modified it, the trigger guard is a Bivens, which I modified slightly.  The rest I made.  The front sight is a nickel from my buddy's birth year and the rooster on the silver cheek piece is an inside joke. 

I want to hear what you builders think because I need to learn. This is the 5th rifle that I have completely made.  By that I mean start from a blank, inlet barrel, etc.   I will be honest, I have been frustrated with my progress on some aspects.  I will carry out this evaluation like I do my work evaluations by telling you what I think I did well. 

I think I do well with the overall look of the rifle and creativity. 

I also, think I do well with the overall architecture.

Where I fall short are on some of the little details that make so much difference.  My engraving is still very basic.  My woodcarving, comes and goes.  I am not entirely happy with my choice of trigger guard on this project.  I liked it as it was coming together but now something seems off.  I think it is too big.  The stain ended up darker than what I wanted, but I still like it. 

I can post other photos if you like, but my computer hates photobucket, which is why I don't post more than I do.

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline EC121

Re: Southwest Virginia Percussion for a Buddy
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 07:20:21 PM »
Doesn't look all that bad for a fifth rifle.  To my eye the grip rail on the guard would look better with a little curve in it.  Try using Tinypic or Imgur for your pictures.
Brice Stultz

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 09:30:42 PM »
Nicely done!
Andover, Vermont

greybeard

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 10:29:58 PM »
That is a right pert looking rile gun you have there. Well done.  Bob

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 01:00:44 AM »
Nice. What is the book? I've been curious about these later step-wristed rifles but haven't been able to locate much about them.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 01:20:18 AM »
Cory Joe,
The one thing that I would question unless its on the original that you used to go by, is the choice of a pewter nose cap. I personally don't think they were used with a rifle as early as yours appears to be. I think a 2 piece iron cap would have been used on the original rifle.  I believe if the original has a pewter cap it was a later replacement. I could be wrong about this but that's my thought.

Neat gun, I've never built a step toe, going to have to try one sometimes.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 04:59:50 PM »
I looked at that step wrist gun for the carving pattern only.  It is featured in The American Tradition From January 2012.  That is the CLA magazine.

Thanks,

Cory Joe Stewart

Nice. What is the book? I've been curious about these later step-wristed rifles but haven't been able to locate much about them.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 05:00:17 PM »
Thanks Dennis.

Cory Joe,
The one thing that I would question unless its on the original that you used to go by, is the choice of a pewter nose cap. I personally don't think they were used with a rifle as early as yours appears to be. I think a 2 piece iron cap would have been used on the original rifle.  I believe if the original has a pewter cap it was a later replacement. I could be wrong about this but that's my thought.

Neat gun, I've never built a step toe, going to have to try one sometimes.
Dennis

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 05:27:38 PM »
 Nice looking. The TG may look different to you if the trigger itself was a little further back in the bow. I think the guard fits the style or even a set trigger that could have been installed at the time of conversion. The PB looks great.

Tim
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 05:42:02 PM by Tim Crosby »

n stephenson

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 05:49:20 PM »
I think you did a good job! You mentioned your engraving skills but, I think it`s good that you are bringing all your skills along together instead of avoiding engraving as many people do. Do you use a veiner to cut in your carving borders ? If not , you might give it a try . It helps make the edges cleaner . Overall a really good job , especially for a fifth build.                               Nathan