Author Topic: Upside down tang screw  (Read 2694 times)

Offline frogwalking

Upside down tang screw
« on: February 22, 2017, 12:59:06 AM »
I am using an old, unused barrel to make a little gun to keep me occupied.  I just got the trigger and trigger plate installed, and began to start drilling the hole for the tang bolt.  The tang is not wide enough where the bolt should ideally go.  see photo:

Sorry about the photo from the bottom of the barrel, but it saved me from taking, uploading the picture.  In any case, I can install the bolt from the trigger plate upward like some of the trade guns were made.  It will still take a 6/32 tang bolt, but I have one left over from a skinny-tang Tennessee rifle.  This miniscule shotgun has a hooked breech, so the tang bolt will seldom need to be removed.  I could use a wood screw or two, but my cherry stock blank is splintery, and not very dense.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline frogwalking

Re: Upside down tang screw
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 01:02:01 AM »
I could also run the bolt upward into the tang into the widest part, the hole won't be round that way, as the bolt would not be normal to the tang surface.

Offline EC121

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 02:58:56 AM »
Install the wood screws then remove them and soak the wood with wood glue or super thin CA glue.  Use the good stuff from a hobby supplier.  It will harden the threads and wood.
Brice Stultz

Offline RichG

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 06:51:07 AM »
can you turn the tang bolt head smaller? just smaller than the width of the tang.

n stephenson

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 04:14:42 PM »
I agree with EC121 I`ve used the glue like he described . I`ve had good results when the wood wasn't  really the best it could be.                        Nathan

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 09:10:39 PM »
I've also done something similar with "punky" walnut but I used Acraglas. I drilled the hole in the wood large, filled the hole with the Acraglas, waxed the screw real good and screwed the screw in - let cure - unscrewed it - works great.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline looper

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 03:58:47 AM »
Why not install a new breechplug?

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 04:03:51 AM »
It is a percussion, patent hooked breech, and the barrel is new, old stock.  Real old at 120 years.  Really good smooth oatina.