Author Topic: another frizzen question  (Read 1694 times)

Online Jim Curlee

another frizzen question
« on: February 22, 2017, 03:39:01 AM »
I'm polishing up the frizzen a touch, and got to wonderin if the bottom of the boss on the frizzen, that rides on the spring should be rounded/pointed/flat?
Mine is flat.
Jim

g2608671@verizon.net

Re: another frizzen question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 03:43:08 AM »
I am no expert, but all the one I have experience with are rounded.  What style / make of lock do you have?  Can't wait to hear the responses to this.

Online Jim Curlee

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 04:10:51 AM »
Not sure who made the lock, it came in a TOTW "John Bivins Lancaster kit".
It's a large siler.
The only marking's are a "period in front of an 0".
Jim

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 04:20:31 AM »
Rounded.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 05:16:37 AM »
It should have a small radius, stoned smooth,  so that the frizzen snaps open smartly at a given point. 

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 06:09:45 AM »
The purpose of a good fit between the pan and the pan cover is to 1. prevent the priming powder from falling out, and 2. to prevent water getting into the priming powder.  Keep in mind that light can be seen between two surfaces far too small for water to go thru.  Capillary action of water going thru a space requires a space much larger than light going thru.  Bottom line is just because you can see light doesn't mean you have a poorly fitted  frizzen to pan.
We always try to fit our locks tightly enough for the two issues above, but not necessarily to the point where you can't see light.
  One year  at Friendship another lock company and I were discussing what we lock makers call the "Friendship Test".  Guys at Friendship (and other places) will pick up a lock, put it on half cock, close the frizzen, hold it up to the sky, and judge the overall quality of the lock based only on seeing light or not.  The tolerances of everything else can be junk quality, but in their opinion it is a good lock if they cannot see light.  As a joke I suggested we make a little projection on the bottom of the pan cover that would defeat the "Friendship Test" no matter how good or bad the fit of the frizzen.  I was joking, but the other company took it seriously and did just that.  If you really want to test the fit, close the frizzen, fill the pan with water, and see if it leaks out.  But, no matter how well the frizzen fits, when I go hunting I always put a little grease of some kind around the edge of the pan just to make sure my priming stays dry.