Author Topic: Swamped barrels and precarved stocks  (Read 3542 times)

Offline tddeangelo

Swamped barrels and precarved stocks
« on: February 21, 2017, 10:15:43 PM »
I've been reading, and learning enough to be dangerous to my sanity and checkbook.

What I've gathered is that a precarved stock will be inlet for a straight barrel, but if you get one with the flats of the inlet cut no wider than the most slender section of a swamped barrel, the channel can be used with careful inletting work to fit a swamped barrel.

Is my understanding anywhere close to reality?

Starting to get more serious about getting started with a build and I've developed a rather stubborn preference for a swamped barrel vs straight. :)

Offline PPatch

Re: Swamped barrels and precarved stocks
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 10:22:43 PM »
Swamped is good. a good choice where weight and balance are concerned.

Pre-carves come in both swamped and straight barrel inlets. If, however, your intention is to save a wee bit of money by ordering a straight inletted barrel channel then making it into a swamped inlet - why bother? Yes, you could do it, it would be a pain in the rear, and require some careful work. Personally I would go with a swamped barrel along with a stock inlet for that barrel.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline EC121

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 10:24:16 PM »
Some places will sell the wood and inlet the barrel for you.  What you say will probably work, if you can find a barrel that is 13/16" or 7/8" ATF.  Years ago a friend had to go to .54cal. to use his straight-channeled 13/16" precarved stock.  Since the channel and ramrod hole are cut straight, you are also likely get into the ramrod channel at the breech.  More trouble than it is worth.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:26:14 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 10:53:47 PM »
Agree with EC121. Could have real problems everywhere. Not wide enough in the lock panels. Barrel has to be inletted deeper ruining the web of wood the front lock bolt goes through. It's actually harder for me to inlet s barrel into SN undersized channel than I letting into solid wood.
Andover, Vermont

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 01:55:50 AM »
That's precisely the stuff I was wondering about....that the stock wouldn't be laid out to tolerate that change in the barrel channel inlet, and opening it up fore and aft would start the dominoes falling. Thank you.

I dislike straight barrels, though...so I guess I either have a place like Tiger Hunt or one of the folks mentioned here on another thread do the barrel channel/ramrod for me on a plank or suck it up and do a straight barrel for the first one out of the gate. Or search around for a swamped pre-carve. I just know I'm not fond of the handling of a straight barrel, particularly since I like long barrels (my deer gun has a 46" barrel on it).

Lots of time ahead of me and actually putting tools to wood, but starting to map out my course here, so to speak. I gotta go to Dixon's for some odds and ends anyway (sorry, I live near them, it's handy to just pop over and get stuff when needed, lol), so I'll see if Greg has some time to chat and get his thoughts. Figured it'd be nice to pick the stock in person, so to speak, but i'm sure he'll give me good guidance as well on what they can/can't do to help.

Thanks!

Offline retired fella

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 02:16:24 AM »
I suggest that you take your barrel with you to insure a good fit.  OOPS "I reread your post."  If you already have your barrel, take it with you.  If not buy both at the same time to insure that good fit. 

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 05:27:30 AM »
Sorry, I wasn't terribly clear about that.

I haven't bought a thing at this point. I'm still working on setting up my work space and haunting ebay and the like looking for tools. This is a long term approach, not looking to try to go from 0 to 100, lol.

So I don't have any parts for a gun....yet. I thought about starting from a plank, but thinking it might really help to start the first one out of the gate from a precarve and learn and grow from there.

My "problem" is I've purchased two custom rifles that are built with swamped barrels, and now I've really no interest in making something with a straight barrel, lol.

Offline FALout

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 01:53:32 PM »
If your still in planning stage, and your set on swamped barrel maybe because that was what used for that style of rifle, then get a stock that is matched to THAT barrel.  I can understand wanting to use a precarved stock, but there is nothing to be gained by using a stock laid out for a straight barrel, then try to make it work for a swamped barrel.  Can it be done? Yes, but for someone that has never built a rifle, it could be a total waste of money and time.  Is it the cost for a stock inletted for a swamped barrel?
Bob

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 06:07:32 PM »
Tom,

I don't know what style of rifle you're interested in building or whether or not you want to do it from a fully inlet pre-carve.  I understand your trying to grasp all options before you commit and start spending money; that's a good plan.  I will mention that if you're interested in going the fully inlet pre-carved route that Tip Curtis claims to have over 130 patterns in stock.  A few years ago, I bought a "kit" from him with an inlet GM "B" weight swamped barrel and the inlet was top notch.  You've probably already looked at Dave Keck's Knob Mountain site.  He offers a lot of Fred Miller patterns that cover a wide range of styles.  He can sell you the pattern in the grade of maple you want, inlet the barrel, do the ramrod channel and drill the ramrod hole.  A lot of hobby builders as well as full time builders opt for this service.  For a little more he will pre-carve the butt stock for you if you want to go that way.  Also, being in Berwick, PA he's close to you.  Good luck.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 07:53:49 PM »
Thanks for all the tips and ideas. :)

I wasn't so much looking to avoid a cost (to answer a question up the thread a bit) so much as confirm my own understanding on this.

With Dixons being a short car ride from me, I had thoughts of getting everything there, as putting my hands on things before spending money on them is of value to me.

But I don't think they stock precarves with swamped barrel inlets, since that would (I am guessing) be highly dependent on the specific barrel involved and its individual profile.

But lots to explore. I appreciate the ideas and insights!

:)

Offline retired fella

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 12:46:36 AM »
Good luck with your journey.

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 01:32:24 AM »
Thanks!

I have several good ideas from this thread to check out, for sure.

In my reading, it was mentioned about using a straight-barrel inlet for swamped barrels with the provisos I listed, but I was thinking that it wasn't "just that easy," and figured that opening up a barrel channel on a stock already laid out was quite likely to be a problem. For the reasons listed about.

My first step, since I need to go there anyway for other things, is to talk to Dixon's about what they have and can have on hand. Depending on time of year and such, I've seen 0-20+ precarved stocks on the racks there. So I can see what they come up with or will have. Barrels are usually there in strong numbers, most from Rice.

Or I can consult with the several folks or companies mentioned on here. I don't think I'm going to want to try to completely shape one from a plank right out of the gate....although some days I feel like that's the way I want to go.

My long term goal here is to be capable and competent at building from a plank by the time I hit retirement. That is another 17 years away for me (minimum), so there's time, lol. I just want to get started so I have tons of time and don't need to be in any kind of rush for anything. I figure my first one will take many months, if not more than a year, till it's finished (from when I actually have everything in hand and officially start the project).

With Dixon's nearby, my initial idea is to develop a hobby of building and then progress to a point where I can recoup component costs by selling rifles on consignment out there at the shop. Not really an income, just something to do that can be "self-sustaining" from a financial standpoint.

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 09:52:36 PM »
Was at Dixon's today.

He has a plank with an outline cut, ramrod hole drilled, and a 42" swamped Colerain barrel with a coned muzzle, seems like a B weight, inletted nicely.

$350.

I shouldn't drop the money on it right now, but I'll have to keep that in mind. Greg Dixon wasn't there, by when I can talk to him I'll have to ask how often they have stuff like that.