Author Topic: French dragoon Cavalry pistol  (Read 11663 times)

Lew wetzel

Re: French dragoon Calvary pistol
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2017, 08:28:17 PM »
That is a real nice pistol...where did you get your castings...I'm going to call Reaves and order mine..I also want a French pistol that would have been taking off a French officer fallen in battle during the f&I war..

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 10:47:01 PM »
Buhund!
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Lew wetzel

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2017, 01:40:56 AM »
Buhund?????Norwegians dog!!!!

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2017, 06:16:36 PM »
Lew,

Yes, a Buhund is a Norwegian dog.  When I was building that pistol I was using an original as an inspiration and it had a hunting scene on the side plate.  So I made mine with a hunting scene, too.  Since my little pal, Ollie, is a Norwegian Buhund I put a Buhund on the side plate of my pistol.  Ollie has been with me at the ALR tent at the Fair for 9 years.  Hence Acer's post.

It appears to me that French pistols are quite different from British pistols.  From what I have read thus far it seems that in the 18th century French army all officers bought their own pistols.  Again, my reading has led me to conclude that in the British army the commanding general equipped the entire regiment.  It seems there was far more standardization in the British army up until the 1770's, or there abouts, when French military procurement was completely centralized.  So it is my impression that a French pistol recovered during the 7 years war (F&I over hear) would have been bought individually or as a pair by the officer from an independent gunmaker.  Generally the bores of French guns are smaller than the British.  The pistols I have are 28 and 36 bore, for example.  I'll try to post some pictures for you.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Lew wetzel

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2017, 12:37:42 AM »
Got my walnut today....builds on.....

Lew wetzel

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2017, 04:42:26 AM »
I would really like to get a full size drawing or at least good dimensions for the French dragoon pistol..any help would be most appreciated. .

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2017, 05:23:13 PM »
I would really like to get a full size drawing or at least good dimensions for the French dragoon pistol..any help would be most appreciated. .

Neumann's Battle Weapons has photos and some dimensions of the P1733 pistol, which is probably what the MBS kit is based on.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Long John

Re: French dragoon Cavalry pistol
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2017, 11:13:04 PM »
Contact Eric Von Aschwege.  He is a member here.  He did a measured drawing of my original French holster pistol a few years back.  I think he sells them vi his web-site.

John Cholinpistol

Offline Long John

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2017, 06:43:21 PM »
Lew,

Sorry it took so long to follow-up.  Work gets in the way sometimes!
Here are some photos of the original French holster pistol that inspired mine.

I hope you fond these of some value.  I figure the original pistol to be of 1730 to 1740 vintage.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Lew wetzel

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2017, 03:46:08 AM »
Thank you for sharing the pics...they will help alot...

Lew wetzel

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2017, 10:33:47 PM »
Was looking at the picture that shows the end of the barrel..it is oversized or looks folded back...im i seeing it right...my eyes are getting bad...

Offline Long John

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2017, 08:19:24 PM »
Lew,

No.  The barrel is quite thin at the muzzle, around 0.020 thick.  But------a ring creating a cannon muzzle effect has been, I believe, soldered on.  It appears to be a separate piece that is added to the barrel muzzle.  The result is "canon muzzle".  Commercially available barrels are not available with as thin a wall-thickness as the original.   The original barrel is 14 inches long and 60 calibre.  I got my barrel from MBS.  It is quite heavy!  It is 12 inches long and 54 caliber.  28 gauge would have been better (55 caliber) because I could then use the same ball and patch as my rifle.  One day I will ream-out this barrel to 28 gauge.

Best Regards,

John Cholin