Author Topic: New project and options - maybe  (Read 1472 times)

g2608671@verizon.net

New project and options - maybe
« on: March 12, 2017, 05:27:07 AM »
I just purchased a .32 Pedersoli Kentucky cap lock and I have it completely disassembled and soaking in de-greaser.  The previous owner did not treat this rifle well; its caked with burned powder residue and the bore is rusty and in some places rough.  Perhaps the roughness will disappear once the Sweets 7.62 has a chance to work and I brush the bore.  Maybe.
But as I was taking this rifle apart a thought ran through my head and here is where I need the input of you chaps with more experience than me.
Again - this is a Pedersoli Kentucky
If the bore is trash, can I replace it with a flint lock .36 that is compatible with the stock and then install a flint ignition that is compatible with the stock mortise and have a conversion to a .36 flint lock rather than the .32 cap lock that it is now?

The stock is, in my estimation, a very nice piece of wood and am looking forward to rescuing it from its current state of neglect and trying to bring out its character with Aqua Fortis.  That's the plan as of now, anyhow.

Offline Elnathan

Re: New project and options - maybe
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 05:43:28 AM »
There was a fellow over on another board who had his old Frontier rebored by Bob Hoyt, cut off and rebreeched it to make a flintlock, and filled the lock mortise with a Chambers gunmaker's lock. Combined with a lot or work on the stock the end result was pretty nice.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

g2608671@verizon.net

Re: New project and options - maybe
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 06:07:56 AM »
Ya' I guess that I would have to have the breach re-cut as the flint lock hammer and frizzen geometry would not align with with the cap lock configuration. 
Maybe I need to do some serious hoping that the .32 barrel is savable.