Author Topic: Rifles pictures of the past build  (Read 9087 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Rifles pictures of the past build
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2017, 07:48:02 PM »
Wow just wow
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 08:47:01 PM »
I remember this rifle from Dixon's  pleasure to see it again and I remember it did quite well in the awards!! the carving reminds me of the hand, Isaac Haines  Build more so I can examine again this year.
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

Offline mountainman

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2017, 04:12:27 AM »
Thanks again. Hey Mike, that was the gun alright,  what a great time I had with you guys, thanks  for your contribution to the Dixons Gunmakers Fair...

Offline acorn20

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2017, 05:48:53 AM »
Great looking gun!  You did good!
Dan Akers

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2017, 08:14:59 PM »
Whew Mountainman, that is one fine rifle.  What did you use for finish?  I like the way you worked it around the carving, which really showcases your talent.  Some nice work!   Best wishes, and God bless,   Marc

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2017, 11:30:10 PM »
Awesome job Mountain man!!!! Makes me wish I was right handed!!
Robin
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2017, 06:15:07 AM »
Bold stylimg, well designed carving.

Offline mountainman

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2017, 01:01:29 AM »
Thanks again for your kind compliments.  Marcruger, it was Brownell's Waterbased Soluble Dye mix.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 01:02:40 AM by mountainman »

Online davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2017, 05:28:10 AM »
Mountainman,

Lovely rifle.  Is it patterned after a John Noll rifle like the top one in the following picture?

Two of the rifles that have probably most inspired me showed up in a single photograph on the cover of a book published by the KRA in 1985 (The Kentucky Rifle, a True American Heritage in Picture).  I bought the book when it first came out and admired the two rifles on the cover ever since.

Here is a poor scan of the poor condition book jacket that I still have so you can see what I'm talking about.

Unfortunately, the book contained no other photos of these two rifles.  There are two other Noll rifles, but not the one on the cover and no mention at all of Nunnamacher (lower one in the picture above.)

I have found a few more fairly poor, black & white photos of this same Nunnamacher rifle in the book "Accouterments" by James Johnson and a few more photos of both the Nunnamacher and Noll rifle in "Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in its Golden Age" (Kindig, et al, 1971)

My question is, in the past 30 or 40 years, has anyone published any more and better photos of these two lovely rifles?  I do not know if there is even another Nunnamacher rifle known to exist.  I would think that someone somewhere would have published better photos, but I can't seem to find any and your rifle looks to be so similar to the Noll rifle, I was wondering if you had any better pictures of the original.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 12:05:17 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline mountainman

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2017, 06:35:24 AM »
Hi Davec2, Thanks again. The only other source of pictures that I have found of the  Noll rifle you mentioned,  or top rifle of that picture you posted,  was found in Peter Alexander's book, called Gunsmith of Grenville Co,  there was quite a few features of that rifle in that book. I called and talked to Peter about that rifle he photographed, and he pointed out all the pages numbers of each feature of that rifle,  which I found very helpful,  thanks to Peter..
As far the Nunnamacher rifle, it's seems like I would have seen it in another book, but I can't remember where,  I looked through several books here, and I can't seem to find it,, maybe someone else can help me out here???
On a side note,  I think it would be great if you could recreate any of these rifles, I would love to see other reproduction,,,
and I have seen your rifles posted on this website from time to time,  and you do GREAT WORK,,, keep it up, I enjoy seeing them,,, as far your question,  hope this helps some ,,, CARRY ON