Author Topic: Bear Hunting  (Read 3990 times)

Jeff Peters

Bear Hunting
« on: April 29, 2009, 04:23:44 PM »
Good day to all
I'll be taking my oldest on a Bear hunting trip to Maine the end of May
He's finally graduating from college as a forester, and a hunt with the long rifles is a great way to celebrate. We've planned for this trip for a few year. We've selected what we hope is a great guide. I'll be keeping a log and taking photos, and with the boys help I hope to post photos when we return.
My question for today is, I'm sure some of you have taken guided hunts ans I'm wondering  what is the appropriate amount to "Tip" the guide for a trip like this?

Thanks,
Jeff

Daryl

Re: Bear Hunting
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 05:53:03 PM »
Looking forward to hearing & seeing 'stuff' your hunt, Jeff.  I think the tip would depend on success or failure, type of hunt- on foot or baited, expertise & ability of the guide to not only get along, but become good friends - his companionship towards you and your son. Being dropped off into a tree stand over a bait bucket is a mite different than an actual guided hunt, stocking, etc.
I've seen tips paid to guides from 0 to a $500.00 being normal and one of a Back Widow Longbow + 1,000 dollars - one tip - imagine that.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 06:28:05 PM »
Looking forward to the chronicles of the hunt!

As to tips, I guess you have to kinda figure out how you felt about your experience and then try to estimate a tip according to some sort of percentage of the cost of the hunt.  Kinda like tipping your waitress.  Sometimes they earn 2% and sometimes 20%.

On a Texas hog hunt we tipped our guide with hunting equipment.  He was a young guy who was off to hunt elk in the fall and we had a lot of calls and stuff in our bags left over from our last elk hunt.  He was thrilled to get that kind of stuff.  The group that had hunted before us had given him a .357 mag revolver
Mike Lee

Jeff Peters

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 05:11:21 PM »
Daryl & Longcruise,
Thank you both for the responses
I'll post photos etc when we return
Jeff

Mike R

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 05:16:53 PM »
In the only guided hunt I was ever on [pheasants in Nebraska] the guide misrepresented himself and his set-up, took us to overhunted public lands and in the end shot me from across a draw when the only bird we saw got up between us!  Let it be known, he got no tip! 

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 05:26:11 PM »
Daryl & Longcruise,
Thank you both for the responses
I'll post photos etc when we return
Jeff
Well, now I know why you were not shooting at Muddy Run.   Have a safe trip and hope the weather gods smile upon you! :)

Jeff Peters

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 09:56:08 AM »
Thanks Rodger
I'll need that

Jeff