Author Topic: card wads  (Read 2453 times)

Offline smoke

card wads
« on: August 08, 2017, 04:33:28 PM »
Hi Does anyone use card wads between powder and patched ball when using wet patches.Thanks for any answers. Dan

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: card wads
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 04:40:57 PM »
I do not.  I find no need.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 07:12:12 PM »
Some guys do this for a hunting load, to isolate the powder from an oil or grease patch.

Some guys do this as their patch/ball combinations are too thin and they get blowby or

burnt patches if they do not use this barrier. Sam Fadala wrote this up as his thin ball and

patch combinations burnt his patches and reduced his velocities.

I used to use a barrier in my hunting loads in the .69, back in the 80's, however I have not

done so since & notice no change in speeds or poi due to possible opil-wet powder.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:12:36 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 08:01:41 PM »
My take on this is if you are using wet patches it is because you are going to immediately fire the piece. If you are using wet patches, and planning on waiting before firing the piece, you need to revise your loading techniques. When hunting I use a lightly greased patch. When target shooting I use a patch dampened with moose milk.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 02:48:59 AM »
Some guys do this for a hunting load, to isolate the powder from an oil or grease patch.

Some guys do this as their patch/ball combinations are too thin and they get blowby or

burnt patches if they do not use this barrier. Sam Fadala wrote this up as his thin ball and

patch combinations burnt his patches and reduced his velocities.

I used to use a barrier in my hunting loads in the .69, back in the 80's, however I have not

done so since & notice no change in speeds or poi due to possible opil-wet powder.
If Sam wrote that it has to be true. Kind of like seeing it on the internet.... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 02:15:07 AM »
Exactly, Mike. 

I use/used well greased/oiled patches for hunting - never a wet water based lube.  The well greased or oiled patch does not noticeably harm the powder charge of my hunting loads, however, if that is what you want, go for it - BUT - make @!*% sure you test the accuracy just to make sure adding a wad does not screw with what you had - with no wad. 

In the .69, using a wad beneath the patched ball did not hurt the accuracy- however, it opened up my groups in both the .40 and .45.

Also - you cannot generally switch from water based lube to oil or grease and expect identical poi or accuracy as your previous lube.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V