Author Topic: Ladies Bucks Co. Rifle  (Read 2954 times)

Offline t.caster

Ladies Bucks Co. Rifle
« on: September 01, 2017, 04:44:40 PM »
I finished this in July for a lady in our club. Her partner took it out on our woodswalk without ever firing it himself (I showed them the sighting in target I fired) and he tied for second with it. So they are both happy with it!
It started out as a simple Bucks Co. Barn gun style, but I just had to embellish it a bit for her.
It uses a Colerain .45 cal B-wt. 38", cut back to 36". A Chambers Golden Age percussion lock, so it looks like a converted flinter. Single trigger and modified Tulle guard so she could get her tiny hand around it. Handmade sideplate and nose cap, and some incise carving on a lovely curly maple stock. No patchbox by her request. 13" trigger pull, 3 1/4" drop and weighs 6.6 lbs.

pictures hoster

Next up is an early J P Beck rifle with .54 cal x 42" Getz barrel and Chambers lock. I just started carving on it, so it is pretty far along already. This one will be offered for sale when finished.

Tom C.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: Ladies Bucks Co. Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 05:27:46 PM »
  Nice little gun Tom. Nice incised carving also. Oldtravler

n stephenson

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 06:00:10 PM »
Nice Work !!!  Nate

ghost

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 07:26:40 PM »
A very lucky lady! Very nice incised carving!

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 08:06:08 PM »
GREAT work there Tom, as always!  I also like the incised carving and the rail-less fowler type trigger guard, which I have seen on a few original rifles.  Works well for smaller hands! ;)

Joel Hall

Offline taco650

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 01:13:40 PM »
That's a really nice rifle!  I really like the clean lines and size. :)

Offline vtmtnman

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 01:51:06 PM »
Nice clean rifle with the right amount of detail.Great work.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 03:05:45 PM »
Very nice. I like it
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline flehto

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 04:10:04 PM »
Beautiful BC and your incised carving is very BC and expertly done. ....Fred

Offline t.caster

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 01:09:54 AM »
Thanks everyone!
Strange thing happened to it while drying the LMF finish in the hot high 80s sunshine. The aqua fortis stain DARKENED quite a bit more, and I used an industrial heat gun on it, then one or two coats of LMF Honey Maple. I guess I haven't finished very many rifles in the heat of summer, and I didn't neutralize the acid afterwords.
Tom C.

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 04:21:34 AM »
Last summer my son was finishing a counter top for his kitchen. He had built it from some beautiful  curly hickory. We were putting aqua fortis stain on it and preparing to use the heat gun. This was outside in the hot S.C. sun and the wood was hot. To our surprise, the wood was hot enough from the sun to blush without using the heat gun. We just put it on and neutralized it when it dried.     Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 07:01:28 PM »
"Last summer my son was finishing a counter top for his kitchen. He had built it from some beautiful  curly hickory. We were putting aqua fortis stain on it and preparing to use the heat gun. This was outside in the hot S.C. sun and the wood was hot. To our surprise, the wood was hot enough from the sun to blush without using the heat gun. We just put it on and neutralized it when it dried.     Bob"

For our honeymoon my wife and I stayed at Mansfield Plantation just down the road from you Bob.  I think it was right around 100 degrees that August when we were there.  We know SC heat.  That said, blushing aqua fortis with the sun is some tough heat.   :-)  I use my heat gun, but I can see the similarities.  Hah, hah.   God Bless, Marc