Author Topic: Barrel Pin Tip  (Read 2062 times)

n stephenson

Barrel Pin Tip
« on: October 06, 2017, 08:40:33 PM »
Most regular builders already know this so , it is a tip for builders without much experience. After your finish has dried , before reassembly of the rifle, I like to run the appropriate size drill bit through ALL the holes . I have a pin vise that I put the bit in and just twist it trough by hand. This cleans out the finish that may have built up in the holes. If you don`t do this you run the risk of pushing a chunk of wood out on the side of your pin hole. I did this once years ago , that`s why I ALWAYS do this now. It is a real nightmare to see fresh broken out wood right beside your pinhole. I just thought I would share this for those who don`t already do it.  Thanks Nate

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Barrel Pin Tip
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 09:18:14 PM »
Excellent post!  I think any of us who have done built these things for any length of time learned this lesson the hard way.....   >:(
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 03:40:41 PM »
Thanks for the tip. Very useful.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 03:53:42 PM »
Thats a good reminder Nate. I use an old 1/16" drill bit that I tapered the leading edge for about 3/8" and mounted in a dowel. It feeds in nicely and acts as a reamer collecting everything in the flutes.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 09:29:20 PM »
Something to not forget about doing; thanks.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.