Author Topic: Heavy rifles, tired old arms...  (Read 12936 times)

Daryl

Re: Heavy rifles, tired old arms...
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 06:55:50 PM »
Here ya go Harry-  maybe 7 ponds?  I did put on a cast forend cap/entry pipe and a bit of lead down the  barrel channel at the front.  30" @ .45 cal.x13/16" 1/4" steel rod to give it some barrel weight. Very light - too light for me for good shooting.  Nothing holds better, for me, than a 9 1/2 or slightly heavier  longrifle, 42" or longer.

Harnic

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 07:05:07 PM »
Here ya go Harry-  maybe 7 ponds?  I did put on a cast forend cap/entry pipe and a bit of lead down the  barrel channel at the front.  30" @ .45 cal.x13/16" 1/4" steel rod to give it some barrel weight. Very light - too light for me for good shooting.  Nothing holds better, for me, than a 9 1/2 or slightly heavier  longrifle, 42" or longer.

Well, you need to try my 50 cal at Heffley this year Daryl, it should be perfect for you!  It meets all your specs.  It's too barrel heavy for this old f*rt!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 07:06:53 PM by Harnic »

Daryl

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 02:28:58 AM »
Iron, Harry - Pump iron!!!

Harnic

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 06:14:29 AM »
You're right Daryl, I'm a 182 pound 6'-2" weakling...  I'll start next week!  ;)

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 05:19:39 PM »
You're right Daryl, I'm a 182 pound 6'-2" weakling...  I'll start next week!  ;)
Now, now young fella ol Daryl meant it!   Works for me the old left arm lifts a dumbell weight daily at least 20 lifts.    At first it was tough to do, now no problemo!  Heck it has to help and I'm 6'4" 210.  :)

I tried a light wt rifle more than a few years ago and had a $#*! of a time screwed up nearly a year's match shooting til I 'buried' the thingee!  Give me a somewhat nose heavy long rifle anyday.  She hangs on a string well!

Harnic

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2009, 07:01:17 PM »
Well "old timer" ;)  I'm sure you're right!  I built this rifle to the specs I knew worked for me when I was 30.  There's no reason those same specs won't still work for me at twice that age, if I get back into better shape.  When I was 30 I weighed 235 pounds & only a little of it was beer belly!  Been fighting IBD for the past 30+ years & it takes a nasty toll.  My wife has found me a diet that seems to be helping so I'm running out of excuses for not getting back into better shape... all I need is the energy to get started! :P
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 07:02:01 PM by Harnic »

Daryl

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2009, 07:50:09 PM »
Roger makes a great point about lifting weights - doesn't take much to increase ones ability to handle a heavy rifle. Muscles gone soft come back quickly - you never lose the strength you once had - just the ability to maintain it over a period of time. They taught us this back in Mountie training and it's true.  With time, your ability to maintain that strength over time lags and even to the point where it diminishes to where you can't lift anything - I know this for a fact - happened with my back - now I can shoot a 10 pound rifle and even now, with some practise, handle my 12 pound 4 ounce Sharps for 10 shots offhand- what a wonderful thing to be able to do - after all those years of not even being able to handle a 9 pound rifle - the reason I traded off my .69 in the first place.  It's easy to handle now and I love it.

Harry - I'd like nothing better than to shoot your rifle for a trail - might have to adjust your sights, though (before giving it back) - HA!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 07:50:25 PM by Daryl »

Harnic

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2009, 08:55:02 PM »
Harry - I'd like nothing better than to shoot your rifle for a trail - might have to adjust your sights, though (before giving it back) - HA!

You're on buddy!  We'll trade rifles for one of the trails this year. :)

Roger, I took your advice & started exercising this morning.  Did half an hour on the stationary bike (second hardest level), 20 front curls with 10 pound dumbells, & 15 push ups.  Going to do this twice a day to start.  Who needs a new, lighter rifle?  Thanks guys, you saved me $500 on parts for a rifle I don't have any use for!  My 11 pound full stock flint Hawken will be fine by August.  :D

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2009, 09:29:59 PM »

You're on buddy!  We'll trade rifles for one of the trails this year. :)

Roger, I took your advice & started exercising this morning.  Did half an hour on the stationary bike (second hardest level), 20 front curls with 10 pound dumbells, & 15 push ups.  Going to do this twice a day to start.  Who needs a new, lighter rifle?  Thanks guys, you saved me $500 on parts for a rifle I don't have any use for!  My 11 pound full stock flint Hawken will be fine by August.  :D
If you shoot righty give that left arm a workout every day!

mike e

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2009, 10:18:49 PM »
Do curls and military presses with the rifle like in the Army.

Harnic

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 12:56:28 AM »
If you shoot righty give that left arm a workout every day!

I think I'll do both arms at the same time Roger... don't want to look lop-sided! ;)

Mike, I don't know how the army does it!  I was to undisciplined to join! ;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 01:58:42 AM by Harnic »