Author Topic: English Walnut Tree, Worth doing anything with?  (Read 8130 times)

Offline hudson

Re: English Walnut Tree, Worth doing anything with?
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 05:39:31 PM »
Thinking, if the tree needs to be taken down, have a professional take it down with instructions on how section it. Possibly dig out the better part usable underground. Stump part is something you might want to handle thinking cost..

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 06:05:00 PM »
Wood from low on the tree is great, but the idea of using "root wood" has been largely overblown.  Particularly by English authors inappropriately describing burl wood.  Once this sort of thing starts, it's hard to stop.

Jim

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 06:31:58 PM »
Wood from low on the tree is great, but the idea of using "root wood" has been largely overblown.  Particularly by English authors inappropriately describing burl wood.  Once this sort of thing starts, it's hard to stop.

Jim

I disagree with what you say I would say that 90% plus of English gun makers in the past and even today us planks that have come from the root of a Walnut tree be it English walnut of French walnut , That is one of many reasons while  English guns are the world best , but then I am a patriot.
Feltwad

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2017, 08:09:24 PM »
If anyone has a copy of Decorated Firearms by Wallace Gusler and James Lavin, check out the section discussing stock wood.  He did what he could to dispell the notion of root wood, burr walnut etc.  Seems a lot of this started with Hayward (Art of the Gunmaker) and maybe even Lenk (The Flintlock).  Even today I see numerous high end auction houses refer to what is obviously burl maple as burr walnut, rootwood, even suggesting it is "thuja" is common. 

If I get a chance I may try to post the article mentioned above here.  I don't think many have the book.

Jim

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2017, 08:28:49 PM »
If anyone has a copy of Decorated Firearms by Wallace Gusler and James Lavin, check out the section discussing stock wood.  He did what he could to dispell the notion of root wood, burr walnut etc.  Seems a lot of this started with Hayward (Art of the Gunmaker) and maybe even Lenk (The Flintlock).  Even today I see numerous high end auction houses refer to what is obviously burl maple as burr walnut, rootwood, even suggesting it is "thuja" is common. 

If I get a chance I may try to post the article mentioned above here.  I don't think many have the book.

Jim

Never go by what books say they just quote what they have read from other authors I have worked on stocking which includes restoration and you  will find that  the best stocks come from the root of the tree that's why  a shotgun plank today before worked will cost you thousands of pounds . I know several stockers who turn out top class work and only use best wood from the root  the wood you see today  on a large majority of guns the old gun makers of the muzzle  loader and breech loader would have only used for kindling and fire wood
Feltwad

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2017, 08:42:13 PM »

Jim

Never go by what books say they just quote what they have read from other authors I have worked on stocking which includes restoration and you  will find that  the best stocks come from the root of the tree that's why  a shotgun plank today before worked will cost you thousands of pounds . I know several stockers who turn out top class work and only use best wood from the root  the wood you see today  on a large majority of guns the old gun makers of the muzzle  loader and breech loader would have only used for kindling and fire wood
Feltwad

You must not be familiar with Wallace Gusler....

There's not too much related to muzzleloading building and research that has come out of England for the last 40 years or so that's had much substance in my view. 

I agree that those who do the work know best.  Heck if someone in England wanted a top notch flint fowling piece he would have to come to the states to get it built.  Kind of ironic I think...  I'm patriotic as well ;)

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 08:51:15 PM by Jim Kibler »

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2017, 10:05:18 PM »
Yes I agree there is not much building of muzzle loaders in the UK the reason been that there is a reasonable supply of original ones  which are better .
Feltwad