Author Topic: David Price builds a new rifle for himself  (Read 6175 times)

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
David Price builds a new rifle for himself
« on: September 19, 2017, 03:50:08 AM »
Reciently I realized that I can no longer compete shooting off hand.  It breaks my heart because I have I have been doing it for the last forty years, and have won my share of fifty patches at the nationals.  That's over now and I have decided that I must shoot bench matches.  I decided to build myself a New England Bench Rest Rifle.  I have never see one but this is my interpretation  of how  a New England light bench rifle should look. 

I built this rifle in three weeks with parts that I have had here in my shop for a long time.  The barrel is a one inch forty forty five cal Douglas that  someone gave me forty years ago.   I will be shooting it this weekend at the Maine State Championship matches.

David Price

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:15:57 PM by Tim Crosby »

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: David pPrice builds a new rifle for himself
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 04:00:56 AM »
Ahh David,
You are our local master up here.  What a fabulous answer to your situation.  It is so New England and appropriate and beautiful.  I am so glad to know you.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 04:28:33 AM »
A True Master in more than one way - so glad you built this to head out to Maine and compete - Proud to know you, learn from you, and to truly say I am better because of you - Best of luck in the Maine competition - Proud New England Friend.. looks spot on as an accurate and precision rifle - Go get em'

My Best wishes,

Jon
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 04:30:26 AM by Kingsburyarms »

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 04:37:09 AM »
Smart Dog

Thanks for the compliments, coming from you means a lot to me.

I have never seen a N.E. Light bench rifle, but a friend of mine has twelve N.E rifles that I used for reference.
The patch box and the engraving on it is an exact copy from an original.  The silver wire in the cheek piece is an exact copy from a Silas Allen rifle.  The checkering is also copied from one of the originals.  The little tip on the end of the trigger guard was very common also.  The triggers  were my idea, I thought that they looked more like a target rifle.  The engraving on the lock is my design, thought it would look good with the wrist checkering.  It's a little hard to see the black cow horn nose cap but that was also quite common.  I may have made it a little too long, but I could still cut it back.  The false muzzle is all mine.

I shot it today for the first time, the barrel is capable of winning some matches.  if I can do my job and point it in the right direction.

David  Price

David Price

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 04:52:40 AM »
Hi David,
You got the NE styling bang on.  The checkering is perfect, particularly the wide double border.  It is Shrewsbury or Worcester-made through and through.  You know Dave, the Virginias have Gusler, North Carolina has Bivins and Chambers, Ohio has Kibler and Pratt, Kentucky has the House brothers, PA has Martin, Kettenburg, and Shipman, and we in New England have Mrock and you. 

dave

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 06:05:50 PM »
Really nice David. As a former offhand bullseye destroyer who has lost that skill set, I never really considered bench rest. What are the rules concerning rifles for Bench rest competition?
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 09:12:02 PM »
Smart Dog

Thanks for the compliments, coming from you means a lot to me.

I have never seen a N.E. Light bench rifle, but a friend of mine has twelve N.E rifles that I used for reference.
The patch box and the engraving on it is an exact copy from an original.  The silver wire in the cheek piece is an exact copy from a Silas Allen rifle.  The checkering is also copied from one of the originals.  The little tip on the end of the trigger guard was very common also.  The triggers  were my idea, I thought that they looked more like a target rifle.  The engraving on the lock is my design, thought it would look good with the wrist checkering.  It's a little hard to see the black cow horn nose cap but that was also quite common.  I may have made it a little too long, but I could still cut it back.  The false muzzle is all mine.

I shot it today for the first time, the barrel is capable of winning some matches.  if I can do my job and point it in the right direction.

David  Price

David Price

Nice- is this a bullet rifle or round ball rifle? Due to the small calibre & round profile, it is likely a bullet rifle.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 09:12:36 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Telgan

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 09:14:14 PM »
Nice lookin work David - Hope to see it first hand in the not to distant future. Looks like exceptionally good weather forecast for Maine this weekend. Best to you, Tom ( & Victoria )

Ric27

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 02:22:51 AM »
David, It is great to hear you are working and Shooting. I have been doing far to much working and not nearly enough shooting. You have inspired me. Just yesterday I was thinking that I originally built a flintlock rifle because I wanted one to shoot. I have lost sight of that lately.

Ric

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 03:43:21 AM »
Darkhorse,
Every club has there own riles when it comes to shooting.  They don't always coincide with MNLRA rules.
I built this rifle in flintlock so that i could shoot it in cap lock matches, but I have been told that I may not be able to shoot in cap lock matches.  Any body know  the NMLRA rule on that.

Ric27,
I can't make up my mind which I enjoy more building riflews or shooting them....Then theres hunting!!!

Daryl,
This barrel is as a 45 cal. round ball barrel.  I would rather of had a 40 cal. but attached is a picture of a friend of mine,  Harley Grice, ,  from Vermont with a target that he shot the first day that I fired it.  I think this will be a shooter.  The target in the picture is only 25 yds. not 50.    I haven't   played with the powder charge, patching, or ball size yet.   I just used 65 grs. of 2f, a .451 ball, and a .020 pre lubed patch, because thats what I had on hand.

Telgan,
You are overdue for a visit any way.  You know you are welcome anytime.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 03:49:16 AM »
Daryl,
I didn't mention in that last post, that is a five shot group.  The target on the right is a three shot group   that I shot just before he fired his.  I moved the sight over for him to shoot.

David OPrice

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 04:33:21 AM »
Hi Dave,
Harley and Ernie just paid me a visit in Braintree today.  He showed me a photo of that target on his phone.  WOW!  That is quite the rifle.  Don't let Ralph Cook see that.  ;D

dave

valley firearms

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 05:02:39 AM »
Very Nice Mr. Price a work of art,and were in Maine is the Match?

Offline little joe

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 04:19:47 PM »
I am not aware of any caplock matches that you could not shoot.

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 05:02:15 PM »
Beautiful rifle. Good luck at the shoot.

n stephenson

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 06:26:50 PM »
David, Nice Work!! Looks like a very believable rifle to me. It also looks like it WILL SHOOT!!   Good luck with your matches . Nate

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 07:39:56 PM »
With load (powder) development, perhaps it should do the same small one-hole group at 50yards. 

The ball and patch sound just about perfect to me.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 02:49:22 AM »
Valley Firearms,
The shoot is in Limerick Maine.  The name of the clubs York County Powder Burners

You can e mail Mike Davis who runs the matches .  His e mail is

( 103 Staples@gmail.com  )

valley firearms

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 05:33:04 AM »
Thank you David

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 02:55:42 PM »
Ahh David,
You are our local master up here.  What a fabulous answer to your situation.  It is so New England and appropriate and beautiful.  I am so glad to know you.

dave
Elegant like the rifles in Hamilton&Rowe's book on caplock schuetzen rifles'
I like all of it except the brass parts.Wonderful craftsmanship and color and
what looks like Jim Chambers late Ketland lock.

Bob Roller

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 04:42:43 PM »
Ahh - Notice the Cow Horn on this rifle from your tutorial! -

JCurtiss

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2017, 02:33:33 PM »
Very nice rifle you have there David!

May I ask what the three pieces that fit the end of the barrel are for? I assume these components are unique to "target" rifles?

Thanks,

Jason

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2017, 03:47:37 AM »
I can't really shoot even peep sights all that well anymore. Waiting to the VA to decide my right eye cataract is bad enough to fix.....

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine