Author Topic: TC Hawken lock replacement  (Read 5784 times)

Offline vtmtnman

TC Hawken lock replacement
« on: September 30, 2017, 02:11:56 AM »
I bought a caplock TC Hawken that's missing the hammer. I'd like to convert it to Flint using a replacement L&R lock.I have a replacement NOS TC flint barrel that is coming.

Problems or issues I might run into doing this?Is it drop and go or needing a little coaxing to get everything working?

Offline Dobyns

Re: TC Hawken lock replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 02:15:41 AM »
The L&R REPL may need a little inletting.  It uses traditional springs vs TC's coil springs.

Offline vtmtnman

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 01:36:59 PM »
That's what I figured 300BO.

My other concern is if the flash hole will line up with the pan.I have a feeling they made them as interchangeable but if someone has done this before would love to hear experience.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 03:57:45 PM »
I have installed a L&R RPL lock in a TC renegade, it was a nightmare. The lock was too small for the inlet, the lock bolt hole didn't line up and I had to plug the old hole and redrill, the touch hole didn't line up so I had to move the barrel back and grind off the end of the under rib to make a good fit. The barrel got into the lock bolt hole so I had to grind the back of the breech plug off to get it out of the hole. I had to remove a bunch of wood to accommodate the lock internals, fill the gaps in the inletting, add a piece to the TC trigger bar so it would hit the L&R sear just right and a few other minor annoyances.

It came out OK except for having the send the lock back to L&R twice to fix glitches that never should have been sent out in the first place.

That big looking touchhole is just the allen head wrench socket.

Here is what the completed inlet looked like before I reblued where I took all the metal off the breech plug. Notice how far the lock bolt hole had to be moved off center to hit the L&R threaded piece on the bridal. I measured not twice but a half dozen times and made a direct hit on my first attempt at redrilling the hole after I plugged the old hole with a dowel.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 06:00:12 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 07:15:54 PM »
Eric,  How was the performance of the L&R compared to the stock TC lock?  Was it worth the effort and trouble to replace it?  Just asking because I thought about possibly doing this to a Lyman, but the stock lock doesn't work too bad once polished and tuned.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 07:22:56 PM »
I put one in a TC Hawken.  Didn't know what I was doing and removed way too much wood lol.

It now lives in a gun I put together.

The lock works well. Stronger and sparkier than the TC lock.

Worth the money?   I don't know...sell the TC lock on eBay and you can likely nearly pay for the L&R. Sometimes even make a couple bucks extra. They can often fetch good money..

Offline vtmtnman

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 09:36:54 PM »
Eric I thought you had done this,was going to PM you about it on BPG.

I'm willing to do fitting,I've built a kit gun from Pecatonica and am familiar with inletting and such.

Offline vtmtnman

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 09:38:38 PM »

Worth the money?   I don't know...sell the TC lock on eBay and you can likely nearly pay for the L&R. Sometimes even make a couple bucks extra. They can often fetch good money..
I've got the parts to fix the percussion lock coming.I will make an assessment of everything and may just pickup a new percussion barrel as the one I've got is toast.

We'll see.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 01:19:56 AM »
All I can say about the lock was it was a real good sparker. The day I finished the rifle a friend contacted me and wanted to buy it, he will never shoot the gun, he just collects safe queens.

I made the rifle out of a pile of assorted parts, the barrel was a new unfired kit gun barrel from long ago, really pristine, I paid $65 for it.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:37:05 AM by Eric Krewson »

Offline vtmtnman

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 01:05:18 PM »
Well I guess we'll see how it goes with this one.Thanks guys.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 01:42:38 PM »
I have the NEW style original T/C flintlock in a 50 cal.  "parts rifle" I'm using for hunting. I've been told the revised design is much better than the original lock T/C put in their rifles. I don't know about that because I never had one of the earlier ones.  The only thing I've done to this lock is replace the T/C frizzen with a Lyman frizzen. I also have an EXCELLENT Chambers large Siler, so I know what a good quality lock can do.
All that said, This NEW style T/C lock w/ Lyman frizzen doesn't give up much to the Chambers. I'm quite pleased with it in fact.

Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)