Author Topic: smooth bore  (Read 2957 times)

Offline yip

smooth bore
« on: October 27, 2017, 10:13:57 PM »
 looking for a place that sells a 50" smooth bore barrel and a stock blank to accommodate it, walnut please. any help out there?
'
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 10:15:03 PM by yip »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: smooth bore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 04:09:22 PM »
Gonna be a special order barrel, Hoyt or Rayle. You can get the wood from Dunlap or other sources.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline yip

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 04:11:59 PM »
 thanks Mike!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 05:18:38 PM »
Taylor's got one of those - maybe it's time for him to build it?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 06:54:51 PM »
I bought my 50 1/2" .50 cal smoothie barrel from John Getz, but I'm sure he will be a while before he is back in his shop, owing to health issues.  I bought the wood for it from Jack's Mt. Stocks, and he inlet the barrel into a nice piece of clear cherry, profiled for a JP Beck build.  Nice work in both cases.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 06:59:28 PM »
Can't wait to see that one,Taylor 8)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 07:17:15 PM »
Now-a-days, when I go into my shop, my bench asks, "who are you?"  I retired two years ago thinking I would have all day every day in my shop, but it has not been so.  Our Gun Club is building a new range.  I am the club's president, and it seems that between up-keeping at the old range, and working on the new one, all me time evaporates.  Winter is my building time...I don't accomplish much in the summer, so we'll see what the snow brings.
As far as smooth bores go, I AM looking forward to seeing what kind of accuracy I can ring out of a smooth rifle.  I built a smooth .54 for Leatherbelly some years ago, and it's a fantastic shooter.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 07:42:31 PM »
Tis true,sometimes its hard to find time.Without a place to shoot no sense in building another gun too.The Chief needs to delagate authority to his Indians,sounds good but I know how that works,LOL

Offline yip

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 08:59:56 PM »
 guess i'll stick with F.C.I. and a 48"er and call Dunlap stocks.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 04:48:40 PM »
I've got a couple 50" barrels on hand but I have some ideas of what I'm using them for. One is an ancient old new stock Paris & sons I picked up for $100 at a gunshow. Hoyt makes most of my long stuff, I have a 57" barrel on order with him now. He also does all my French barrels as well, usually at 53 1/4".
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Vomitus

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 08:08:39 PM »
Quote: "As far as smooth bores go, I AM looking forward to seeing what kind of accuracy I can ring out of a smooth rifle.  I built a smooth .54 for Leatherbelly some years ago, and it's a fantastic shooter."

It certainly is a great shooter! Love the long barrel!(50 and a half inch also, thx to John Getz. I hear he's doing much better...)

Offline Kary

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 08:20:28 PM »
Ken Netting makes them. Not too pricey either, I got my 46" tapered smooth barrel for just under 200$.

Offline Kary

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 08:21:22 PM »
I'm not sure if Ken can make an ocotogon to round tho...