Author Topic: Grain Structure  (Read 2217 times)

n stephenson

Grain Structure
« on: October 26, 2017, 05:17:12 PM »
A few months ago I made a post about stock shaping, There was a lot of good responses to the post , including one forum member who , loaded up in his truck and , drove 6 hours one way , to come stay with me for 3 days to learn some shaping technique. When someone wants to learn shaping , the first thing that I teach them is grain structure. In my opinion , it is IMPOSSIBLE to ever be a competent gunstock shaper without having an understanding of grain structure. I notice that there is hardly ever any discussion of grain structure. I find that there are tons of people that are confused between figure and grain . When teaching a student about grain structure , I use an analogy . If a person can get their mind around the grain being "like a cable"  . If you cut across a cable at an angle , and then try to cut back up the slope , the strands will rear up , if you cut down the slope , the ends of the fibers can be sheared smooth. I feel like , even if your assembling a kit , it will help your finish process to understand grain. If you plan on actually building a gun , to me , it is imperative that you understand grain . I understand that some people just can`t get it , but if  someone explains it in a good way , most do . I just feel that this is a topic that is overlooked quite a bit , but is a VERY important subject. I simply can`t believe that the old Masters , didn't teach this very early on in the training of a gunstocker . Not to mention furniture makers , carpenters , coopers , and ALL the woodworking trades.  JMHO   Nate

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Grain Structure
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 05:22:47 PM »
Good post. Often grain runs at an angle left to right on a stock, so when using a plane or spokeshave or chisel, I have to work in one direction on one side of the stock and the opposite direction o the other. Then of course there’s swirly or undulating grain. Sometimes I just have to feel it. It can’t be seen.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 06:17:43 PM »
Grain structure awareness is basic woodworking. I was taught about it first week in 8th grade shop class, but our educational system doesn't seem to value that any more.

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 03:55:54 AM »
Nate, great topic.  I learned early on whether with a joiner or hand plane, there is more to it than simply looking at the obvious grain direction.  At least for me I find that many times the grain direction will run just opposite of what looks to be the obvious grain direction.  Looking closer or maybe even with magnifiers, I often can see the real grain direction or structure what appears to be (for lack of a better description) like fine drizzle, or maybe the pores of wood flowing in direction.  That always seems to be the true grain direction.  Of course with some of the figured woods, this changes many times.  A real pain when making say a jewelry box or display case, but desirable for gunstock strength.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 04:42:39 PM »
Probably the most important thing when buying gunstocks. Somebody needs to do a seminar on buying good blanks and how to lay your pattern out on the blank. Another good subject is quality of wood. I see so many  new comers here buying wood that is way to soft, doesn't even finish well. There guns would be far better with a harder piece of wood.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 05:02:06 PM »
I would think strength and where its most critical should play a role in this as well,finding that balance between,strength,workability,figure, when putting pattern to blank.While most here know what to look for the novice might choose a piece based on figure before say looking at how the grain runs thru the wrist.Just my thoughts.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 05:46:37 PM »
As soon as I began learning to work wood with hand tools-properly, I thought up a good name for a wood-working site/blog/book: As the Grain Turns.

Because it's the strength, and it's the weakness, and it's much of the beauty of all wood.

And it's a bugger when it's going the wrong way!  Reading/understanding the grain is just as important as sharp.
Hold to the Wind