Author Topic: Devilish wiggly ramrod thimbles  (Read 2867 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Devilish wiggly ramrod thimbles
« on: November 03, 2017, 10:04:58 PM »
Speaking of mistakes, which Nathan brought up. On my current build, a Fainot fowling piece, I was pretty sure I did the drilling for ramrod thimbles perfectly. I used just 1 pin on upper thimbles because it looks like that is how Fainot did it. But then a couple weeks later I noted a couple of them were a little wiggly. Not happy. I never like to plug and re-drill. Sometimes it has to be done but it bugs me.

To fix the problem I took a leftover piece of stock wood about half an inch wide and set my best plane for a thin shaving. I then ironed those curly shaving flat with a steam iron. Then I cut to length and width with scissors and glued them into place in the thimble inlets, inserting and clamping down a dowel wrapped in soda bottle plastic to squish it good until the glue set overnight. Worked like a charm and looks good too. But from now on I may use 2 pins for all thimbles whether the original builder seems to have done so or not.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Devilish wiggly ramrod thimbles
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 11:18:19 PM »
One is perfectly fine if it's in the right spot.  Two might keep it from wiggling to some degree, but it may not be fully seeted.  The real fix is to have them seated properly and pinned such that the pin holds it snuggly down in the inlet.

Jim

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 11:55:41 PM »
Fully seated, absolutely.  Then the icing:  tapered pins.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 02:15:05 AM »
I built a Tn rifle last, all the pipes were tight as could be, that is until we had a month of very dry weather, one got loose. I spread a drop of superglue in the inlet and sprinkled a little very fine sawdust over the still wet glue and sanded it smooth, end of problem.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 02:27:33 AM »
I tried to drill my holes ever so slightly at the top of the pipe radius vs.straight into the tab.Somebody told me that in theory as the pin is installed it will want to bend a whisker pulling the pipe up tight in the inlet.Seemed to work for me but I don't think the pin bends as I have had them in and out quite a few times,perhaps they flex a little ???

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 04:29:03 PM »
See what  happens if you bend the  pins ever so slightly. That slight bend may cause things to tighten up just like a tampered pin. 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 07:44:30 PM »
They’re tight as a mink now. Think I know why they were not 100% “down”. I kept a small piece of ramrod material in each thimble while drilling to keep from any crushin* in the vise and the dowel piece “bridged” to the groove.  Next time willl use a dowel piece slightly shorter than the thimble.
Andover, Vermont

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 12:23:25 AM »
Rich sorry for your troubles but that just solved a issue for me...I just squashed a thimble oval (.032 brass) and spent a while getting it back to round, now I'll insert a pc of 3/8" rod before I clamp.

Thanks,
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline PPatch

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 06:02:14 PM »
With thimbles I do a careful inlet so that the thimbles are set evenly, snug and straight, then lightly clamp the thimbles in place and check that the RR will slide into them the way it should. When it is time to do the pinning I again gently clamp the thimbles into place without the RR, or a surrogate, in the thimbles and drill the pin holes. It seems to me that that the key is to apply the clamp pressure to just snug the thimbles in place but to not use excessive pressure on them.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?