Author Topic: Ramrod thimbles  (Read 3647 times)

Maineshops

Ramrod thimbles
« on: November 30, 2017, 05:12:15 PM »
It has been generally recommended that I use 1/4 in ramrod. I’m having trouble finding 1/4 pipes. Track otw don’t seem to have them. What is the thought on the diameter of the ramrod groove for a 1/4 inramrod?  Appreciate your thoughts. Dan

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Ramrod thimbles
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 05:16:35 PM »
RR thimbles are easy to make, I think they is a tutorial in the tutorial forum. Make them to fit your RR. Go a !little oversize  to allow easy removal of RR.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 05:35:49 PM »
Dan,

The only time I use a quarter-inch loading rod is on a short-barreled pistol.  Is that what you are making?  Is you loading rod steel?  For long guns I think quarter-inch wooden rods are just way too easy to break.  Once the loading rod is broken you are done shooting.  I think of the loading rod as a tool I NEED to keep the gun shooting.  When we sacrifice necessary strength for the sake of appearance we are in questionable territory.  I think you ought to re-think this some.

Best Regards,

JMC
John Cholin

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 05:52:29 PM »
I guess we need to know the caliber of the gun.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 05:54:31 PM »
There are very few circumstances that I would recommend a ¼" rod. I'm thinking 30cal barrel?
Anything larger, at least 5/16".
In His grip,

Dane

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 06:18:24 PM »
I solved that problem like this.  This is a small .410 fowler.  I drilled the ramrod hole 1/4", but used 5/16ths thimbles.  I fashioned a jag with a taper, so that when it was seated the ramrod was slightly wedged in place, thus holding it firm.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline rsells

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 08:11:44 PM »
I use a 1/4 inch rod when I build .29 and .30 cal rifles.  I make the ramrod pipes for these rifles.  I have not seen any commercially available 1/4 thimbles available.  It is not a really hard process to make the thimbles, but I dislike doing the decorative filings on fancy ones.  Making fancy thimbles is not a favorite job of mine no matter what size I am making.
                                                                                                    Roger Sells

Maineshops

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 08:32:17 PM »

best image host

The cal is 32 and the pic is the refle I built 50 or so years ago and I used .312 ramrod and it dosen’t look too klunky. I think I’ll go with the 5/16.
I guess I could make the tubes but there are so many other things that I have to learn I don’t think I want to add much more. Dan

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 09:40:51 PM »
RR pipes are easy to make, but they are even easier to buy; that is if the style and length available are what you are looking for.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 05:28:07 PM »
MBS has ramrod pipe kits. They are basically already made. You can solder the tabs or leave them like they are,cheaper than you can make yourself.

Maineshops

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 06:08:07 PM »
Not familiar with mbs ?

ltdann

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 06:28:00 PM »