Author Topic: harrison dickert plan  (Read 5934 times)

brokenflint

harrison dickert plan
« on: May 09, 2009, 11:39:25 PM »
Anyone have experience with the Harrision plan for the dickert?  Is this plan appropriate for a lt wt barrel and which dickert was this based on, anyone know?  I'm up for feedback before I spend money on this.

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: harrison dickert plan
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 01:49:40 AM »
What's the Harrison Dickert Plan?

Sounds like somethin' our govmnt would do!  ;D

John
John Robbins

brokenflint

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 02:03:12 AM »
JTR  these are plans you can buy from TOW etc that where drawn by LH Harrison, now they very well be a government conspiracy or cover up  ;) on how we expanded the gun trade to conquer america

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 02:09:44 AM »
I have used it for reference but have never traced the pattern out and cut into a piece of wood.  Since you cannot buy all the exact parts an 1/8"  hear, 1/16" there and things can get all out of whack in a hurry.  I would trace the Harrison stock pattern onto a piece of tagboard or butcher paper  and then start laying my parts over the pattern and modifying as necessary until I got a nice eye appealing compromise that I liked.
DMR.

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 05:39:01 AM »
While I didn't use the Dickert drawing, I did use the drawing of the Fruwirth in Vienna Yeager.  It allowed me to make the best handling flinter that I ever made.  One of my friends has it now.  Like one of the others said, use the drawing for a reference and make sure your gun fits together.  The drawings are not that expensive and make right sweet wall hangings.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 06:43:52 AM »
The Dickert plans I have (by Houston Harrison)  are drawings of the rca #67 vol 1.  this is a great gun with one of my all time favorite patch boxes.  loa 61 1/8"   barrel 45 3/8" long  1 1/32" at breech    5 3/8" long lock   13 5/8" pull.  I just cut out a stock blank last knight based on these plans.  Hope this helps.  All of the drawings by L. H. Harisson are extremely well done and highly recomended.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 07:34:41 AM »
The rifle is also shown in Jim Johnston's "Accoutrements" book (Volume 1).  The rifle is a just an outstanding piece in architecture and decoration, and I agree - it is my favorite Dickert rifle as well.  It hung for many years in Jim's "Golden Age Arms" shops in Delaware, and later Ashely, Ohio and I was lucky enogh to be permitted to pick it up and handle it once along with a great Shroyer, a Verner, and several other great rifles all in the same day.   I don't recall it being very heavy.  If I recall correctly, in "Accoutrements" Jim describes how his father and he bought and sold it several times over the years. 

The gun is believed to date to the early 1780s.  There are few pieces that are known to have "been there" on the Ohio Valley frontier - add that to the fact that it is just an exceptional longrifle by one of the greatest makers, puts it in pretty rare company.  The gun has a history tieing it to a western PA militiaman on Crawford's Campaign in 1782, which ended in a disastrous retreat after the Battle of Sandsuky - according to the information in "Accoutrements" it was used in the battle and fired the shot that killed "The Half Moon", a Shawnee chief.  The militia were outnumbered and surrounded so they split into small groups to make their way out and many were killed, captured or later killed in gauntlets or burned at stake. The militiaman who carried it served with Col. Williamson, the leader of the troops at the Gnadenhutten (Moravian) massacre, who made it back from the Sandusky campaign unscathed, while Col. Crawford was captured and burned near present day Bucyrus, Ohio.

Guy
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 10:12:12 PM by Guy Montfort »

Martyman

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 04:27:34 PM »
Brokenflint
I love that gun, infact i have mine about 2/3 finished right now. That patch box is real sexy, it was the the big draw for me. Just saw the plans this weekend and i think they are true to what i can see in the ROCA pictures.

Guy
Thanks for the history on the gun. She's a gem!

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 07:06:58 PM »
This is a really nice plan.  I've used it to cut out one blank that I have set aside for a rifle for one of my sons.  I think the dimensions are pretty accurate and enough to get a pretty nice rifle.  I assume that the original has a swamped barrel although neither Shumway or Harrison only mention the length.  I have my blank inlet for a straight 15/16th barrel though.  Having read the history of the Sandusky campaign and the Gnaddenhutten episode I'm surprised the owner made it back.  I guess I'm not too proud of his or the rifles link to the Moravian Indian massacre.

Curt

brokenflint

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 07:22:19 PM »
I agree, interesting history on this rifle.  I'll be headed to the library to see what I can find on the sandusky campaign for sure.  I'm only in the planning stages atm, but any and all information is a benefit to layout and construction once i start this later this summer.  Thanks all for the input so far and keep the dickert info coming  :D

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 07:27:34 PM »
The Moravian massacre was a terrible tragedy and a lot of people at the time were horrified over it, including many of the troops there at the time who did not participate.  I am surprised how little attention it has gotten in recent times considering the renewed interests and awareness of Native history since the 1960s.  In general, the Ohio Moravian missions are a really fascinating and overlooked chapter in American History.

On the rifle - I've not seen anything about the gun's original owner being present at the Gnadenhutten massacre - he just apparently served in the Sandusky Campaign under Williamson, who was in command of the troops at Gnadenhutten 5 months earlier.  From what I've read, Crawford was technically in command on the Sandusky campaign, but Williamson sort of did what he wanted and demanded to share command because he brought a lot of troops with him.  Apparently he butted heads with Crawford a lot, which was common with large militia forces on the frontier.  The men tended to only want to follow their local commander's orders, and this fragmentation was one of the things that lead to the chaos and failure of the Sandusky campaign.  

Sadly, Crawford, who was not involved at Gnadenhutten and was apparently a pretty decent person and respected leader, paid a terrible price for the outrage felt by the Ohio tribes over the massacre.

Allan Eckert's most recent book "The Dark and Bloody River" has a very detailed "narrative history" version of the campaign (based on records but recreated conversations, etc. ) and his notes in the back of the book have a lot of info about locations where things happened, etc. Granted, it takes literary liscense with  things but it is pretty thorough and I feel it paints a pretty good visual picture of what happened.

Guy
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 07:36:12 PM by Guy Montfort »

Offline t.caster

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 07:30:13 PM »
Make sure you know your drop & pull before you trace the pattern on your blank and cut it out. No sence making a pretty rifle that doesn't fit you. I have used the dwg. for reference several times. I always had to adjust the drop to fit my client.
It does answer many questions you can't get from pics in books.
Tom C.

brokenflint

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 07:44:39 PM »
Make sure you know your drop & pull before you trace the pattern on your blank and cut it out. No sence making a pretty rifle that doesn't fit you. I have used the dwg. for reference several times. I always had to adjust the drop to fit my client.
It does answer many questions you can't get from pics in books.
  I've got that covered, err drawn LOL   I made that mistake before, but was lucky enough to catch it before I cut into a nice piece of maple  ::)