Author Topic: Isaac Haines build "complete"  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Justin

Isaac Haines build "complete"
« on: January 26, 2018, 08:50:38 AM »
I still need to rust blue the barrel but other than that, I'm considering it completed. I need to build a damp box for that so that'll take me a some time.

I told my wife today "When I first got the kit, I never thought it would turn out so good." She replies with "Yeah me too".  :D

A video was easier to show the whole thing.

JVavrek

Re: Isaac Haines build "complete"
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 09:07:25 AM »
Very nice Justin. That is something to be proud of. Coning the barrel is what you was referring too. I only hope mine comes out as good ::)

Offline Justin

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 04:16:44 PM »
Haha yeah I remembered the term right after. Thanks.

Offline KC

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 04:18:37 PM »
I like it. It looks well done and has all the character of a hand built rifle. Nice job.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 06:57:26 PM »
Really nice work.  You’re well on your way.  You avoided most beginner mistakes.  What’s next?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Justin

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 07:21:11 PM »
Really nice work.  You’re well on your way.  You avoided most beginner mistakes.  What’s next?

Thanks -- folks on here definitely helped with that.

Next will be rust bluing and shooting the darn thing! Then I hope to hunt with it next year...

But I assume you were asking about my next project -- it is making knife handles out of curly maple and putting the same finish on them as my rifle. Much smaller and less ambitious ;D

As far as rifle builds go, I probably won't make another rifle over the summer unless I get an itch. Need to spend more time outdoors this year. I will probably make another rifle next winter though as I'd love to make one for my brother. A Jim Kibler kit may be in the cards... Something that takes me a little (or a lot) less time. Longer term I'd like to build another Pennsylvania rifle with a longer barrel -- not sure what style. I'd probably do another Chambers kit. Longer, longer term I want to make a stock from a block of wood.

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 09:11:17 PM »
Justin,
Nice work on your first rifle. As was said before, you avoided many first build mistakes, and it turned out something to be proud of. Better than my first two builds for sure.

Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

ltdann

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 06:35:05 AM »
Very nice.  It looks great.  My damp box is a cardboard box, works great.