Author Topic: In the style of RCA 17  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Sawfiler

In the style of RCA 17
« on: February 07, 2018, 03:33:42 AM »
I would welcome comments on my second build started at the Canters Cave class. Working to have this finished by turkey season in VA. First time making all the furniture, and first time attempting a barrel inlay, still needs to be engraved - hope to get to that this weekend. Still not finished with the carving or with the lock panels - I need to slim them down and blend into the stock more. Just looking for feedback at this intermediate stage of my build. Barrel is a Colerain 16 bore, stock is cherry my dad and I sawed, lock is an RE Davis colonial american. Only items purchased were the lock, barrel, and trigger guard.

Wish I enjoyed what makes my living
Did what I do with a willin' hand
Some would run, ah, but that ain't like me
So I just dream and keep on bein' the way I am

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: In the style of RCA 17
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 04:18:33 AM »
Good choice and it’s looking great. Keep us posted. I see you didn’t go whole hog and splice on some wood. That might be over the top unless doing a bench copy.
Andover, Vermont

JVavrek

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 05:05:49 AM »
Looking good Sawfiler! How long is the barrel?

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 06:54:26 AM »
How much fun did you have with inlaying that brass plate in the barrel?  Looks like a good bit of work!  I was going to comment that you needed to work on the transition of your lock panels on the front side, but went back and re-read what you wrote about them.  You will be a proud man when you bag that first turkey!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 09:35:16 AM »
I think a small round nosed scraper about thumb shaped in profile could be used to advantage at the rear of the cheekpiece edge where it falls toward the buttplate. Think I see a little uneven-ness there.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 03:05:56 PM »
Hi,
Looks good except you are beginning the carving much too early.  The rifle should be finished almost to the point ready for stain before starting the carving.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Sawfiler

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 03:53:30 PM »
I agree that I should have waited to start the carving. Seeing now how careful I have to be to protect it while working on other areas, and how shallow it is anyway drove that home. Most of the reason I started it was so I could get as far as possible while still in class and finish the other areas once I got back home.

The brass inlay was a pain, not sure I will do another, especially not an oval that goes over the sides of the top flat. I think I had about 8 hours in it. I had to make three different brass pieces before one fit the way I wanted and grabbed on to the undercut enough to hold. The problem I was running into was that the top flat would grab and then when I peined the sides in the top would pop loose, and my brass would be too deformed to try again. I ended up clamping the top down and soldering it in and then peining the side flats in until they grabbed.

The barrel is 44" long. I didn't splice the fore end of this one as the original is, and you are right I am not doing a bench copy, just following along as my skills allow.
Wish I enjoyed what makes my living
Did what I do with a willin' hand
Some would run, ah, but that ain't like me
So I just dream and keep on bein' the way I am

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 05:15:07 PM »
Looks good Sawfiler, I would just concentrate on getting everything smoothed up then you can touch up the carving. Work on the basics, nothing wrong with a gun with good architecture and simple decoration.

Those brass inlays on the barrel were probably poured on the original. Might have been easier to just fit and solder the whole inlay.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:24:37 PM by flinchrocket »

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 05:55:45 PM »
I like it.  That’s gonna finish up into a very nice turkey thumper (and deer, too)...especially nice that it’s stocked in wood harvested with your dad. Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson