Author Topic: It's a Tulle, Finally!!!!!!  (Read 14743 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: It's a Tulle, Finally!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 10:19:05 PM »
I was under the perhaps erroneous impression that this form of firearm was produced for trade off the continent, in two centres in France - St. Etiennes, and Tulle.  I have a nice little reference work on this musket, but haven't taken the time to read it yet.  Education will better arm me to make rash observations.  Anyway, I like this musket, and Dave's interpretation of it.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

tg

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 04:32:30 AM »
Two guns may look nearly identical but the one from Tulle would not have been for trade, and the opne from Leige or another armoury would be . probably the only way to identuify a gun made in Tulle would be the name of the town in several different ways engraved on the lock or barrel, the pied De vache  buttstock shape has mistakenly come to identify a gun from that armoury, the similar shape could be on guns from other places, just a little thing but there are a lot of misconceptions about many of the French guns that have grew over the years due to a lack of references and a lack of research or a combimation of both, at any rate the gun on this thread is a definite winner.

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 11:58:30 PM »
That looks really sweet! I do have a question though because I am thinking of building one for myself. What size bar stock did you start with for the tricker guard and are they tricky to keep symetrical?
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline Joey R

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 02:33:50 AM »
David, What a beautiful gun. If I had that gun in my den there wouldn't be any thing left alive. Well Done!
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2009, 07:34:23 AM »
I'm with Mike Brooks here. The coolest Tulle I've ever seen. Leave the lock alone.
Really, really good stuff. It's fairly fragile and will wear off naturally. I usually case locks and take off the colors because you never see a longrifle lock with case colors. Nevertheless, I vote to leave it.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2009, 07:36:28 AM »
 Hi Dave,
  The lock looks great.As does the rest.I think the lock will mellow with use. Are you going to shoot round ball? or is it choked?  Great caliber for BIG game! Enjoy!

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2009, 05:33:31 PM »
Yes Dave darn nice -  I wonder - Are those Tulle's comfy to shoot or does that butt plate angle tend to pound a skinny shoulder in particular a 7 lb piece ???  I refer now to repeated shooting ???

Offline duca

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2009, 05:27:22 PM »
hi david, nice tulle. i really like the worm on the end of your ramrod. i,m going to make a new rod for my tulle and would like to know were you got it from. go luck with it. i do love mine.
                                    thanks Anthony..........
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline duca

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2009, 06:04:34 AM »
hi david, just whated to know were you got the towworm from on your ramrod. really nice. thanks Anthony.......... :)
...and on the eighth day

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2009, 07:01:55 AM »
Anthony,  The reverse tow worm on my Tulle was hand made.  I do not know of anyone who sells them.  I turned the threaded portion on my lathe our of a piece of 5/16" round stock.  The tow worm is also made from 5/16" round stock.  I start with a piece about 2" long.  I drill a #29 hole in the center and then thread it with an 8-32 tap.  I then take a hack saw and cut a section out of the center leaving two tines.   Using a file I shape the tines and bring them to a point.  I then thread a 8-32 bolt into the tow worm to use as a guide to wrap the tines around.  I then adjust the length by trial and error until it fits on the end of the ramrod using slight pressure from the tines to keep it in place in the stored position.  Hope this helps.
DMR   

Offline duca

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2009, 02:57:53 PM »
thanks david sounds cool. really nice job. good luck. ::)
...and on the eighth day

Offline Benedict

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2009, 04:35:36 PM »
My first build, lo these many many years ago was a Dixie kit.  It came with a tow worm very much like yours, Dave.  Although not nearly as nice.

Bruce