Author Topic: Flintlock pistol books  (Read 1818 times)

saltland

Flintlock pistol books
« on: January 22, 2018, 08:29:10 PM »
 I'm looking for a book that shows the work of various gunmakers pistols.So far the best but difficult to find at a reasonable price is "Thoughts on the American Flintlock Pistol "by SE Dyke.I've looked at offerings from TOTW,Log cabin shop etc and the only other one that may suit my purpose is "Kentucky Rifles and Pistols" by James R. Johnston.Any others that I have missed?
 Thanks,
   Scott

n stephenson

Re: Flintlock pistol books
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 11:15:47 PM »
Scott, If you can find a copy of George C. Neuman`s  , Weapons of the American Revolution , there are some American pistols in there.    Nate

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 01:41:21 AM »
"The Kentucky Pistol" by Chandler and Whisker.
B&W with the usual 3 or 4 pictures of each, but has a lot of pistols.
John
John Robbins

Offline KC

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 02:09:57 AM »
I picked up a book off eBay called "Thoughts on the American Flintlock Pistol" by S.E. Dyke for five dollars. It stunk like someones wet basement but once I aired it out the text and pictures were good.  I think you can get one on Amazon.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 02:38:51 AM »
Chandler's and Whisker's book is awesome. Kind of hard to find, but I did get a copy via the university interlibrary loan system five or six years ago so you might try that if you can't find one for sale.

I haven't seen Dyke's book, but of the other three I'd rate Chandler and Whisker's book highest. Neumann does include some useful dimensions, and multiple photos per gun, which is nice.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling