Author Topic: problem countersinking screw heads....?  (Read 3733 times)

Offline Bigmon

problem countersinking screw heads....?
« on: January 23, 2018, 07:47:43 PM »
Always trying to improve and just ran into something I had forgotten I wanted to do so.
I just made and attached a toe plate and countersunk the screws.  Then it happened again.
Once I get the screw heads flush the countersink area in the plate is a little larger than the head diameter?
I thought this might be due to an incorrect angle on the CS, but it appears the same.
I have a couple other ideas why but would rather just ask someone who knows rather than keep experimenting?
Thanks

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
Re: problem countersinking screw heads....?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 08:08:35 PM »
Funny I also screwed my toe plate to my stock last night. I know the screws I have are not a perfect match to my counter sink tool. I went into the angle of the counter bore with a slightly larger drill than the screw clearance size and removed some of the angle in the brass and that seemed to help.
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 08:14:39 PM »
You need an 82° countersink for standard screws and bolts. Go light until you get the screw head close then you can deepen the screw slot and file the head flush.
Psalms 144

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 08:16:51 PM »
I had a chattering problem that left a wavy edge.  I wound up grinding off all but one flute and that's worked fine.  For the last bit, I've twisted the bit between my fingers to finish the countersink.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:18:13 PM by SingleMalt »
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 09:06:21 PM »
What causes the chatter? I get that sometimes too. I find chattering is less at lower rpm.

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 09:11:05 PM »
When countersinking, place a fold of old denim or hard card stock in between the piece and the 'sink'!! The countersinking will have to cut through and the teeth will be eased into the metal as you go.. no chatter  ;)  this will also work when chatter has already started? Just add the cloth\card stock in and go lightly.. the chatter will clean up!

Might help you or someone else ?

Respect Always
Metalshaper\jonathan

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 09:38:31 PM »
When countersinking, place a fold of old denim or hard card stock in between the piece and the 'sink'!! The countersinking will have to cut through and the teeth will be eased into the metal as you go.. no chatter  ;)  this will also work when chatter has already started? Just add the cloth\card stock in and go lightly.. the chatter will clean up!

Might help you or someone else ?

Respect Always
Metalshaper\jonathan

Dad showed us this about 50 years ago - works like a charm.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 04:09:56 PM »
It seems like the bottom of the hole in the TP does not allow the screw head to seat deep enough for the sides of the screw head to fully contack the matching sides of the hole?
I bought the CS from TOW to match the screws, but really, I used to do as well with just a drill bit?
Thanks for the advise

Offline 45-110

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 04:22:41 PM »
i don't know if all counter sinks are marked, but they make 82, 90, and 100 degree ones.
so unless marked, its easy to use the incorrect one.
best
kw

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 04:54:19 PM »
They also make 60 degree ones.  I had to buy a set for English screws when building Alex Henry rifles.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 05:14:17 PM »
I hold the head of the screw against the CS and it appears to match?
I assume all screw heads are not the same angle?
Else why would they make different angld CS's???
I got these screws from TOW unplated?

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 06:16:05 PM »
Sometimes the screws from TOW will have a small burr where the slot was cut and will not seat because of this.

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 06:57:34 PM »
You can clean up and perfectly form your screw heads by making a screw head forming die.  It's simple; take a 1/4 inch thick peice of steel, mount in your drill press vice, drill a hole the size of your screw shaft, then countersink to the size that looks good to you.  Then heat up the head of the screw red hot, drop into the die and use your ball pein hammer to form the head perfectly to your countersink.  Use a slotting file or saw to clean up the screwdriver slot.  Works like a charm.

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 08:10:16 PM »
The problem is the countersinks are precise angles, the screws not so much.
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 08:14:30 PM »
What causes the chatter? I get that sometimes too. I find chattering is less at lower rpm.
Countersinks are to be run at SLOW speeds - very slow -- too fast and they leave chatter marks. Different style screws have different screw head angles. A lot of aero-space stuff are 100 degrees.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline JBJ

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 12:47:56 AM »
You might want to try a Weldon fluteless 82 degree countersink. They work for me. However, DO NOT buy the Chinese knock-offs! There is a price difference but Weldon U.S.A. made fluteless is a joy and worth the difference!
J.B.