Author Topic: Brass for barrell?  (Read 3290 times)

Goose

Brass for barrell?
« on: January 24, 2018, 02:53:43 AM »
    Hi all, I'm looking for some input on using brass stock for pistol barrels. I have a piece of bar stock that I would like to make into pistol barrels. I know bronze was used, but I don't know about brass. I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Brass for barrell?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 03:08:08 AM »
    Hi all, I'm looking for some input on using brass stock for pistol barrels. I have a piece of bar stock that I would like to make into pistol barrels. I know bronze was used, but I don't know about brass. I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

Bill Large made a few brass rifle barrels and I can see no reason not
to make a pistol barrel of it unless you want to try to duplicate the
performance of a .500 S&W.

Bob Roller

Goose

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 03:19:29 AM »
        Nothing that crazy, just 12" O/R cannon profile, 45 or 50 cal smooth bores.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 04:26:16 AM »
12" DIAMETER?   ;-)  That should hold the pressure of a .50 cal.  Heh, heh.  Best wishes,   Marc

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 05:34:16 AM »
Knowing nothing about it, (amongst other things!)  All I can say is it may depend on the brass. Some is very brittle and some isn't.  Depends how and of what it is composed.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 06:04:49 AM »
I've never tried making a barrel from it, from my experiences beating on brass with a hammer the malleability of brass does vary quite a bit from alloy to alloy. 260, aka "cartridge brass" is the most ductile and least likely to crack under the hammer, I think. Other alloys may have lead in them for machinability. When I was trying to swage buttplates I cracked a couple of mystery brass sheets and only succeeded when I bought some 260.

What alloy would resist shock impact (like, foe example, a charge of gunpowder going off) the best I can't say.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 06:33:03 AM »
Ed Rayl has made a few brass blunderbuss barrels and a pair of pistol barrels for me.  I never did ask him what alloy they were made out of but it might be worth a call to ask him.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 11:04:36 AM »
Most brass barrels are not really brass. Whats used is naval brass = naval bronse = gun metal. Regular brass is to brittel.

Wikipedia
Gunmetal, also known as red brass in the United States, is a type of bronze – an alloy of copper, tin, and zinc. Proportions vary by source,[1][2] but 88% copper, 8–10% tin, and 2–4% zinc is an approximation. Originally used chiefly for making guns, it was eventually superseded in this department by steel. Gunmetal, which casts and machines well and is resistant to corrosion from steam and salt water,[3] is used to make steam and hydraulic castings, valves, gears, statues, and various small objects, such as buttons. It has a tensile strength of 221 to 310 MPa, a specific gravity of 8.7, a Brinell hardness of 65 to 74, and a melting point of around 1,000 degrees Celsius.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 04:04:43 PM »
Rolf nailed it. My 1848 Mechanics handbook lists Naval Bronze as 90/10 (Cu/Sn).
Psalms 144

Offline 45-110

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 04:16:02 PM »
if possible, you might try visiting a boat yard that does repairs and has some old hulks laying around.
i salvaged 2 naval bronze propeller shafts from rotting sail boats when i lived near the great lakes. mine are 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 diameter where 3 feet plus long. when i was scrounging around back then there where plenty of damaged ones around.
best
kw

Goose

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 05:22:43 PM »
     Thanks for the replies gentleman. Not knowing the origin of the bar stock, I think it best I put the project on the shelf for now. Thanks again.

Offline mark brier

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 06:20:35 PM »
Naval brass is what I used when I poured some brass pistol barrels
Mark Brier

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 07:39:18 PM »
I would be very concerned over work hardening, such as experienced with ctg. brass.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V