Author Topic: Gunsmiths of Grenville DVD set  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Mauser06

Gunsmiths of Grenville DVD set
« on: January 27, 2018, 03:32:54 AM »
Anyone have the entire set and able to give an honest review??

I'm a new builder. Working on my 2nd precarve now. I have 3 barrels in planks waiting in line.

My job doesn't really allow for me to get hands on experience or to classes or anything.

I have a few DVDs but nothing so extensive. I have the book as well as recreating the American longrifle and other reference books and some KRA discs etc.

I'm pretty nervous about the planks. They just look intimidating.  Thought the DVD set might be a worthy investment.  Reading material helps...but seeing how it's done can help even more...

Thanx!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: Gunsmiths of Grenville DVD set
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 03:55:12 AM »
  Mauser06  I have the book an the DVD S. I also have recreating the American long rifle an the Art of Making the Pennisylvania books.
  This is my input from experience no bias (bs).
 If the three books the Art of is the simplest to follow. The second is the Recreating book.  The Greenville book is the most complicated without the dvds that go with it. Peter goes in to great detail an it seems like a zillion layout marks on the stock blank. That at first is very confusing because the other to books don't elaborate on these measurements.
 When you watch the devs all these measurements make sence. At least to me. What you also got to understand is in the dvds. Peter is making a Lehigh style rifle which is more difficult to get right. Wider wrist than depth an other things that if not trained on the Lehigh school most builders miss.
  So in my opinion it is my go to book for building with the dvds for clarification. If you desire on one of the other's it's a toss up as to which one.
  Now I am no expert by no means. This is just my personal opion of the three books. Hope this helps an other's may strongly disagree. P.m. If you have more questions     Oldtravler

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 04:04:46 AM »
Thanks!   I appreciate the details!   

One of my planks is going to be a Lehigh... hopefully. Lol. 

It sounds like it'd be a good investment for me. In depth detail will be beneficial. The books are either fairly simple and not much detail, or like the Grenville book, full of detail but gets confusing. 

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 01:10:59 AM »
I have the book and all the DVD's. No regrets. Money well spent.
Eric Smith

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 05:41:20 AM »
Mauser06,
I am like oldtraveler61 and agree with him totally. I also have all three sources and I look at it like this. Anyone trying to learn something new, needs to start out with an overview, then go to a more detailed version as he acquires knowledge and skills. Finally, once the basics are understood, one moves to the advanced class. These three oops allow one to go through this educational process at their own pace.i hope this makes sense. All of the three sources are excellent and have some points not covered in the other ones.
But, I and many other people can read about some task or technique and still have questions in their mind about the details of exactly how to accomplish it. The DVDs provide the visual explanation of what Peter talks about in the book and to me is real clarification of numerous processes that I scratched my head over before the DVDs came out. Be sure if you plan on buying the book, that it is the latest edition of Mr. Alexander. Building muzzloaders is something that I never stop learning about whether it be new techniques or ideas others have developed into something no one has thought of previously.
Mauser06, you say you are wanting to build a Lehigh school rifle. Mr. Alexander's book and DVDs are the only source available that addresses this school at all. I also want to build one of these rifles and have been studying everything I could find on the subject. They have numerous little subtle differences and Peter seems to address many of these. I have the DVDs but have not completely finished watching them. My plan, is to do a "follow along" build with the DVDs and a blank one day. I think that would be a neat way to learn more about building from start to finish. I have been to several classes and the biggest problem is we have never finished a gun in any of them so you never truely learn to do a complete build. Just my experience and hope it helps.
elkhorne

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 06:51:22 AM »
Thanx all! 

I ordered the DVDs last night. 

To clarify, I already have the book (not sure if it's the new edition) as well as Recreating the American Longrifle. 

I'm already pretty well setup to play the DVD as I build.  I can easily use my laptop ...kinda what I planned to do when I start the plank builds. I hope after my next precarve I'm "ready" for the plank builds. I think the DVDs will be beneficial. 

Offline bowkill

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 08:05:01 AM »
Where you get dvds?
μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 08:23:08 AM »
bowkill,
You can go to Peter Alexander's website and order from there. His website is: gunsmithofgrenvillecounty.com and order from there. Good luck.
elkhorne