Author Topic: How fine a grit for "Iron" furniture  (Read 1721 times)

Offline JO49

• Starting Member
How fine a grit for "Iron" furniture
« on: February 13, 2018, 01:41:19 AM »
I'm going to be building a "Parts set" Isaac Haines with iron furniture.  First time working with iron furniture.  I'm filing / sanding the furniture down while I'm waiting for the stock & lock (which is back ordered) from TOTW.  So far I went from various Files to 220 then 320 working the scratches out.

Just wondering what grit of sand paper do you guys/gals work up to on your rifles.?

Thanks

Joe
Semper Fi

Joe

Offline Mauser06

Re: How fine a grit for "Iron" furniture
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 01:55:32 AM »
Pretty much depends on how you plan to finish it and what look you're trying to achieve.

Offline BJH

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 02:01:42 AM »
It depends on wether your going to rust brown or blue your hardware. Or finish in the white. Going beyond 320 grit can make for trouble getting the solution to bite evenly if browning or rust blueing. If your going for a in the white finish then you polish to at least 4-600 grit. Just my humble opinion. BJH
BJH

Offline JO49

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 02:12:04 AM »
I should of mentioned how I'm finishing it.  I'm going to be using "Brass Tarnishing Solution" by Historic Houseparts.  I purchased from Jim Kibler's web site.  Looking at some of the pics from his website using it on the furniture and barrels, etc. made my mine up.
Semper Fi

Joe

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 02:15:36 AM »
JO,
220 is enough.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 02:20:51 AM »
I never go finer than 320 anymore.  You can blend the surface with maroon scotchbrite, I think that looks good.    I prefer it over sandpaper. If you are going to brown it don't go to fine.  The brown won't work as well and the surface you so lovingly polished to a mirror shine will be etched away anyway.  For barrels I now draw-file with a very large file and then blend with the scotchbrite pads, that's it.  For furniture I have been filing off all evidence of casting.  I then polish in the most expeditious way I can, and then lightly sand blast.  Then brown.  The brown works really well on the blasted surface.  It come out a satin egg shell texture, not super rough.

You posted while I was typing.  I think Jim uses scotchbrite with that.  Shoot him an E-mail and see.  Katherine can probably answer if he is busy.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 02:24:08 AM by Scota4570 »

Offline JO49

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 02:27:02 AM »
Thank you gentlemen!!
Semper Fi

Joe