Author Topic: Folk Art Tools  (Read 2818 times)

Offline Elnathan

Folk Art Tools
« on: May 17, 2009, 12:28:47 AM »
http://www.sindelarmuseum.com/Home_Page.php

Nothing specific to gunsmithing, but lots of very neat saws, drills, planes, etc, some dated for the 18th century. The plane section has some especially interesting carved planes in Central European style.

By the way, there is music that automatically plays on the website. It is better than average for such things, but if you are in a place were you can't make noise you might want to turn the volume down/off before clicking.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

northmn

Re: Folk Art Tools
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 03:45:39 AM »
Checked out their saw section.  I remember a session of the Woowrights shop where he demonstrated making saw blades with a triangular file.  In my collection of older tools I have a tooth setting tool.  The saws about dime size were interesting.  I have heard the claim that tools have been found in old carpenters tool boxes that have unknown uses as the people made their own tools for special purposes.

DP

Berks Liberty

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 03:46:18 AM »
I always love looking at tools which are considered art themselves.

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 07:02:33 AM »
very nifty, i wish i could have just a couple tools like those, thanks for the link, i am making a counter top our of what used to be the flooring in my house, its the original hardwood flooring from the late 1800s unfortunately it was too rotted to keep it as flooring but there is enough to gun out short pieces between 3 and 7 foot long and make counters...anyways can you tell i am trying to convince myself i need to make a nice carved plane to smooth the tops?
I Make Inflammatory Statements

Be Prepared