Author Topic: Local Gun Show  (Read 4006 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Local Gun Show
« on: May 16, 2009, 06:37:19 AM »
I attended our local Rod and Gun Club Gun Show again this May, and my buddy Melvin shot these pictures.  Mine was the only display with Contemporary muzzle loading guns, though some of the exhibitors had a few originals and replica rifles and shotguns.  A special thanks to my brother Daryl, and to Melvin for helping me man the display for the two days.  It was fun talking to folks about the guns and trying to work up some enthusiasm for the history.  Only time will tell what seeds may have been sown.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 06:40:44 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Ionian

Re: Local Gun Show
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 02:45:44 PM »
Those are some beautyfull rifles Taylor

Only Canadians would have gun shows in a hockey arena. ;D

Do you do the same with weddings? ;D ;D

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 03:42:38 PM »
How many times did somebody ask you how you made the barrel......that's all I ever get when I go to shows like that. ::)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

brokenflint

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 03:43:08 PM »
I like the bottom one  ;)   nice display and always nice to have a good time

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 05:09:07 PM »
A few years ago we had the show in large convention centre with maple floor, drapes, etc., but it wasn't as well attended by the public.  The arena is large enough to accommodate more tables, exhibitors, and viewers.
Weddings...usually in churches, temples, synagogs,...that sort of building.  I've never heard of one in a hockey arena.
Mike, no one asked, " How does it open?" or "Where do you put the shell?" but there certainly are a few "dumb" questions.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Ionian

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 05:39:42 PM »
  Just kidding Taylor, but I do love that Jaeger and the Sharps!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 06:00:31 PM »
Anytime I go to a modern gunshow I always carry something I built. Invariably there are a half dozen dealers that think they are going to steal an antique from me. They rush up and always say "What ya got there? grand dad's old musket?" I say "No, It's a gun I built" They ALWAYS return aggressively with "How did you make the barrel?" When I tell them it's a Getz or a Colerain etc. they always dismiss me as if my gun is no great accomplishment unless I have made the barrel... ::)...VERY annoying.
Very nice display by the way, and I commend you for your patience with the public. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Berks Liberty

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 10:56:11 PM »
Very nice. Isn't nice to confuse people when they are use to seeing semi-autos and such and then see your table or one like it.  It makes me laugh.  Nice set up and I like the period dress.  How many people gave you that....LOOK? 

Jason

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 04:12:24 AM »
I made everything except for the shirt.  People here are used to seeing me in a loin cloth and leggings.  The beaver skin pouch under my left hand is actually the sporran I wear with my belted plaid Highland outfit.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 03:56:14 PM »
Mike, just tell them you made it out of an old tractor axle using a razor knife and a rock. That should shut them up.