Author Topic: shooting a left handed gun right handed  (Read 6619 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
shooting a left handed gun right handed
« on: April 20, 2009, 05:54:05 PM »
I've found a little .32 flinter that I like, but someone put the lock on the wrong side.  No cast off, so I'm thinking about buying it.  Any of you guys ever shoot a left handed flint right handed?
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: shooting a left handed gun right handed
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 06:25:28 PM »
Roger, In a word, no, but I do shoot right handed flintlocks, left handed. No problem!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 06:31:58 PM »
Might be OK Roger - but might also be something that 'bites' at you often, like every time you look at it in your hands, wishing the lock was on the proper side. :D - for you.  Took, it may be something one can get used to and not even notice - should be cheap - being wrong-handed and all. ;D

omark

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 06:40:50 PM »
wouldnt be any different than shooting a double.    mark   

ol vern

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »
No problem shooting a lefty right handed  if the stock has zero cast. If is a custom
stock with cast on for a left handed shooter you may have trouble getting your eye
lined up with the sights.

northmn

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 09:37:20 PM »
I used to shoot a right handed Brown Bess left handed.  Wear a long sleeve shirt or you may get a few hot spots on the arm.  Shooting glasses are more important if that is possible.  I still build left handed even though RH is more sellable due to the feeling that it is nice to shoot a rifle that fits in all ways.

DP

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 09:53:20 PM »
The long sleeve shirt requirement that was mentioned is very much needed....

You will see more flash - no problem if that doesn't bother you!

I do recall Big Bert (no not big Bertha) shooting a rt hander left handed, picking the vent with the lock v near his skinny T shirt when the hammer fell and rifle fired (down range)  Big Bert had a nice round hole burned in the middle of that shirt and his chest kinda schepeckled with powder burns.   Good ol Bert just reloaded and kept shooting.   ;D

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 09:53:51 PM »
Any of you guys ever shoot a left handed flint right handed?
I have shot a double-barreled flint shotgun both right and left handed.
Does it really matter?
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 10:54:01 PM »
I was wondering about a little extra flame.  My only other experience with this has been a left handed pipe wrench that I could never use right handed.  Crescent wrenches work just fine that way, but of course they are adjustable. ::)
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline trentOH

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 05:18:06 AM »
I have some vision problems in my right eye for the past year or so. Thus I shoot my .32 caliber Dixie Tennessee rifle (RH flinter) on the left side. The only trouble I have is that I am so ingrained in priming a RH rifle that I haven't been able switch.

Depending on what we each have, maybe a trade would be in order.......
Let me know what you think.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 05:36:42 PM »
No, but I've shoot righty's lefthanded. It didn't bother me too much because I wasn't sophisticated enough to know better. Once I shot a LH flint I never shot a RH again.
Now I build my own rifles and all the ones built for my use are lefthanded.
I suspect with double barrel flint's the offhand barrel got the nod first with the one pointed at your face only being used in case of a miss.
It probably gets used a lot.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 09:24:55 PM »
Roger,
I lost the use of my right eye and am right handed. Tried but couldn't master shooting left handed so developed a system where I can shoot right handed with my left eye.  It would work on a left hand rifle using your right eye also.
Mark
Mark

William Worth

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 02:39:06 AM »
I have a left-handed .54 percussion that I shoot both ways.  I'm left-eyed and right handed so I was trying to learn to shoot ambidexterious.  Oddly though, even when I acquire the same sight picture, left and right, the ball finds the correct point of impact only when I shoot left handed... ???

Hit jest don't feel right though. ;)

54ball

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 08:24:28 AM »
 I naturally shoot left handed.  All of my guns both percussion and flint except for one flint smoothbore are right handed.  I find it to be a non issue on what side the lock is.
 I also swap sides as the situation dictates.  This comes in handy when hunting from a stand.  When I do shoot right handed I use my right eye.  I use my left eye when shooting left handed.  It is not good practice IMHO to shoot across the rifle IE using the right eye shooting left handed.  I have always shot Fess Parker style with one eye closed.
 I do notice a slight difference in point of impact,  not really accuracy but point of impact.
 If you like like the rifle and want to take your shooting skill up a notch and can get over the fact it's made for the Devil's hand go for it.     

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 07:04:02 PM »
Curiously, though I'm right handed I started off my career shooting lefty.  I have been shooting the proper way since then.  In the woods I've had occasion to switch back a few times but try to avoid having to do that.  I really don't see much of a problem.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

C. Cash

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 05:10:54 AM »
I shot righty all my life until I got my right peeper put out in the Army(no valor involved, just a stupid accident).  Then, I had to relearn everything lefty.   Growing up, I always hunted with a single shot hammer shot gun  and usually rabbits so you've always got to be ready with the hammer.    So now, it irritates me when I can't get my thumb on the hammer for a fast shot.    When I hold a right handed flinter at the ready, it just feels unnatural with the hammer on the other side.  I bought a really nice right hander with a Getz barrel but I just couldn't get used to not having the hammer easily accessible.  I finally got a Jack Garner kit built for me left handed and it is much more natural to me to tote and cock it.  Just something to think about, but it may be of no concern to you.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 05:17:09 AM by C. Cash »

Offline pulaski

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 02:26:11 AM »
Lost my fingers (distal 2/3 of first three & distal 1/3 of the pinkey ) about four years ago . Shooting left hand with right hand lock doesn't seem to bother me with the fusil (no cast to stock) . Had to build left handed rifle as the right hander had some cast to the stock and would not pull up real well .
I don't have a dominate eye so left handed suits me fine .
The flash of the lock I rarely notice .