Author Topic: Rasp Down That Comb!  (Read 6807 times)

Offline LynnC

Rasp Down That Comb!
« on: May 20, 2009, 03:35:05 AM »
I've owned a "Furin Hawkin", 50 Cal., for more than 20 years.  Probably my most accurate rifle (Believe it or not!) but never pleasant to shoot with more than 70 grains 2f.

A real cheek buster. :'(  Alway thought it kicked harder than most similar guns.

Picked it up the other day and pulled it into my shoulder eyes closed - AND - open eyes and see whole front blade centered over left side of rear site! :o

All these years I've scruntched my cheek down on that comb and contorted myself to line up the sights an BANG - Sore Cheek!

Grabbed that gun & a Rasp - put gun in a padded vise - and began to cut down the comb till occasional checking showed front sight about even with back.

Then started working down the sides of the comb. The cheek side for sight alignment and the off side for looks.

Plenty of extra wood on that stock!  Still need a little tweeking.

Shot it a bunch this afternoon.

50 gr 3f...........Nothing kick wise - Note - using GOEX 3 fg!
60............Same
70.............Same
80 !..........Same
90 !..........Slight thump on cheek - Remember top of comb is still rasped Rough and Square
100 gr 3f.....still slight thump to cheek - easily managed - Perhaps 1800 - 2000 FPS

By the time I get the top of the comb rounded, sanded & refinished it ought to be real pleasant to Shoot

Should have taken a rasp to it 20 years ago :-[................Lynn
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 06:49:38 AM by Lynn Cook »
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Rasp Down That Comb!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 05:21:41 AM »
Can you show us before and after pics, Lynn?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 06:39:21 AM »
BTW - It's a 50 Cal - I added that above

D. Taylor, Ah - No before pics - Standard semi hawkin style - Had to get my wife to put up pics last time.  Not that computer savy yet though I should work on that.

Got to cut alot of wood off - It'll have a small cheek piece I was able to carve out.
Gotta strip and shape the rest of  the stock.

So Much More Comfortable to Shoot - To think all this time I didn't want to mess up the factory finish!  Sheesh..........................Lynn

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 06:52:07 AM by Lynn Cook »

Offline LynnC

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 06:42:19 AM »
Fear Not D. Taylor - There ain't no way it'll look as good as that GPR you re-did. 
I didn't have that much gun to start with :D...........................Lynn

Offline LynnC

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 02:55:30 AM »
Think I might try a faux curly on the beech wood stock then stain with the vinegar & iron.  It looked good on a deringer kit stock I finished.

The moral of this story is - If it don't fit you - Fix It!.....................Lynn

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 02:59:13 AM by Lynn Cook »

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 04:00:57 AM »
I just re-read your original posting Lynn, and now I think I now what you mean by "Furin" Hawken.   They start with a pretty narrow board so the comb is way too high for comfortable shooting, unless the sights are 3/4" off the barrel.  I've reshaped a couple of them over the years, and end up with a butt stock where the comb line is almost parallel to the bore, which makes a really comfortable shooter.  While you're at it, re-work the lock panels, and round up the forestock to take away the slab sided effect from the factory.  There should not be flats along the top of the stock at the barrel channel.  On some of those, there's a lot you can do to customize them and make them more appealing.  Good for you to having taken the plunge.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline RobertS

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 06:43:31 AM »
I've been wondering about that 'furin" Hawken myself, just didn't want to give away my ignorance by asking.  It wouldn't be anything like a TC Hawken, would it?  That is the only kind that I have had the privilege to fool with. 

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 07:14:00 AM »
After Thompson Centre Arms came out with their Hawken, several European factories produced look alike rifles, calling them by other names.  Many of the parts were interchangeable with each other.  Even though I bought one of T/C's rifles, and enjoyed it for many years, it still bothered me that they called it by that name, when it obviously was not.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline LynnC

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 06:27:18 PM »
Yes gents, I was just "funnin" with the term "furin" - Forein is what I meant as in spanish/italian type.

Can't change the depth of the forearm much as they drilled the RR hole close to the bottom, But I can round up the slabbed stock.  1/8 - 3/16" flats along side the barrel.  Plenty to work with.
Working on the lock panels now.  I need to glue in a piece behind the hammer that is cut for no reason on a cap gun.  The stock looks like beech, hope I can find a similar piece.
Cut that spur off the bottom of TG too.  Might look a bit more Hawkenish soon ;D
Lynn

northmn

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 06:27:18 PM »
The TC Hawkins and their copies appealed to modern shooters just switching to ML's and had stocks similar to modern rifles which worked well with scopes and sort of worked for iron sights.  Pick up a modern rifle with sights (if you can find any) and see how you have to scrunch down.  I have seen some Remingtons that were awful.  Take a ML with classic lower sights and you need a bit more drop.  I was amused when I visited Fort William at Thunder Bay where they had a display of original Brown Bess Muskets.  More than one had a dished out stock to prevent getting clobbered in the cheek.

DP

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 07:23:56 PM »
I think it is more to do with different facial structures, stance, body build, mount , the wisdom to know why a gun does not fit you or why it hurts you, and the ability or means to do something about it. Most higher combs are my friend. ;D

Offline LynnC

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 08:22:47 PM »
Many over the years have told me I have a blockhead :o - but it is true I have a rather square face and prominant cheek bones.  A lot of guns I've shot that others deemed comfortable are cheek busters for me...........................Lynn

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 08:56:26 PM »
Body shape and how one mounts the rifle are critical.  Stock crawlers have lots of trouble with combs and lengths of pull.  Eh, Brian?
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline LynnC

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 08:12:05 PM »
I'm 6'-3" tall and used to think I needed a long 14"+ pull.

In the last few years i've found that pulls as short as 11 3/4" (grand daughters flint 36) are very easy for me to shoot.   Anything 12 to 14" is no problem pull wise though I prefer in the 13 to 14" range.

I don't know if I'm a stock crawler or not.  Plenty of shooting faults here, could add that one as well ;D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 08:13:10 PM by Lynn Cook »

northmn

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 08:54:57 PM »
I am under 6' but used to shoot a 14" pull in matches but with a 3 1/2 inch drop at the heel and 1/4 cast off at the butt.  Worked well in shirtsleeves but is lousy in November deer season.  Curretly using a little less drop and 13 1/2 pull.  A wise man on these threads mentioned that it is easier to accomodate a shorter stock than one too long.  To a point I agree. In that the shorter pulls can be shot better in shirtsleeves than the long ones in a coat.  Remember the comments about the 03 Springfield where many learned to hold their thumb along the edge of the wrist to avoid getting belted in the nose by their own thumb.  As Capt Jas stated we are all individuals.  One individual I know builds guns with a very long pull (he has since shortenend them some) and is about 5'7', but he has very broad shoulders and long arms.

DP

DP

Offline LynnC

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 12:32:59 AM »
Roger is taller than me and I think he's real skinny and likes a mid 13" pull.

I sure ain't skinny, more broad with long arms and I'm liking 13 1/2 to 3/4.  Go figure?

I should go back out to the shop and work on it some more.  BTW it is a 13" pull.................Lynn