Author Topic: Pack Axe  (Read 1632 times)

Offline blackdave

• Starting Member
  • Young at Heart - My wife says "immature"
Pack Axe
« on: June 24, 2018, 08:51:34 PM »
I finished another project yesterday. I made up a short axe for easier packing in walk-in camps. The head weighs about 2.5#, 7 inches overall with a 4 inch cutting edge. I made the haft from flame figured ash with a 24 inch length. Thanks again for allowing me to share!

" If a man wants to carry a cat home by the tail, I say let him! He's going to be getting several times as much information as the man who hasn't tried it. And it isn't likely to ever become dim or doubtful, either! It isn't always easy to be eccentric, you know."   Mark Twain

Offline Elnathan

Re: Pack Axe
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 10:58:04 PM »
Did you forge the head yourself? If so, I'd be interested to hear about your technique.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline blackdave

• Starting Member
  • Young at Heart - My wife says "immature"
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 11:11:51 PM »
I use mild steel for the body and an old Nicholson file for the cutting bit. I use the folded eye technique. I start with 1/2" X 3" flat stock 9" long. I first beat a "bowtie" in the middle of the piece upsetting the poll. Then, I cut into the back at the midpoint of the stock, stopping about 1/8" before severing the stock into 2 pieces. Then I go about 3/4" from the midpoint on each side and start thinning and spreading the stock to form the eye and the ears. Then, thin the edge for room for the bit. I then forge weld the poll, do some shaping and thinning, then back to the forge and forge weld the body together leaving the end open for the bit. A bit more shaping and then set the file for the bit and forge weld the bit into place. Then, the process of hammering to final shape and grinding and filing to get things where I want them. Makes a nice axe, but there is some sweat involved.
" If a man wants to carry a cat home by the tail, I say let him! He's going to be getting several times as much information as the man who hasn't tried it. And it isn't likely to ever become dim or doubtful, either! It isn't always easy to be eccentric, you know."   Mark Twain

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 12:20:08 AM »
Thanks. I need a good hatchet or two and have been thinking about trying to forge one, so a detailed account is helpful.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 12:55:09 AM »
Nice job. I got spoiled welding up hatchets with wrought iron and plow share steel for bits. The wrought is a lot easier to weld for me.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 12:47:07 AM »
Really pretty axe.  Two thumbs up.  God Bless,  Marc