Author Topic: Appraisal help?  (Read 2637 times)

Teun

Appraisal help?
« on: June 03, 2009, 06:13:05 PM »
Hi all,

I have a long rifle supposedly from the early 1800's.  It is not in great shape...decent but not like some of the pictures I see of the guns you guys have.  Anyway, how would a complete novice like me go about finding someone to look at the gun and verify what it is, if any alterations had been made, etc.  I don't really care about value as this has value to me and I can't affort high priced pieces anyway.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance!!

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: Appraisal help?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 06:25:59 PM »
If you want some general thoughts on what it is and what might have been done to it, posting some photos on here will probably get you some opinions.  Then, depending on where you live your best bet would be to bring it along to one of the shows where collectors and other knowledgeable folks set up, and show it around to a few of them.  Again, not for a formal "appraisal" but some input on where/ when it was made, etc.  Some of the shows have different areas of focus, but if you go to a big one like the CLA or even Friendship you will find some people who will help.  For a formal appraisal, you would need to go to a reputable, knowledgable dealer and probably pay for the service.  Again, some folks on here could point you in that direction if that is what you would like to do.

Good luck

Guy

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 05:36:38 PM »
I agree, post some pictures here as there are some very knowledgable guys on this forum.
If you show good, clear pictures of the gun and ask for an honest assessment, I'm sure you'll get it.

John
John Robbins

Teun

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 08:15:56 PM »
Thanks guys I will do that!!