Author Topic: Carolina gun buttplate  (Read 1046 times)

Offline fahnenschmied

Carolina gun buttplate
« on: September 07, 2018, 08:56:21 PM »
I'm building myself a Carolina Gun, closely based on the old "TR gun" and the parts from the Yuchi burial gun.  Some years back, somebody had nice photographs of an original "type G" buttplate, illustrating a build of a similar gun.  I think this was posted by a "Curtis" and the buttplate was owned by Jack Brooks,  believe.  If any of you out there has a paper template you could photo or scan, with a scale or accurate measurements, I'd appreciate it.  As mine is based on the TR gun, not a copy - I am using he stock profile from it, but I want the buttplate to be more like that recovered plate.  Many thanks!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Carolina gun buttplate
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 09:09:22 PM »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline fahnenschmied

Re: Carolina gun buttplate
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 10:13:41 PM »
Many thanks, Mike - several years of internet searches haven't turned up anything quite so useful.  I am struck by the graceful tapering with the somewhat pointed bottom - not so different than the TR buttplate after all.   Thanks for sharing - and I suppose this would benefit others out there too.