Author Topic: Browning solution  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Old Ford2

Browning solution
« on: September 12, 2018, 03:04:23 PM »
I have used Laurel Mountain Forge, and Casey's  brown solution for years with good success, but my last order for browning solution, Track of the Wolf sent me this new stuff they had.
To say the truth, I was not pleased to try something new and untested. They sent me  Mark Lee Express Brown #2, not pleased as I was expecting the good old standard Laurel Mountain stuff, however I tried this Mark Lee stuff on a scrap piece of barrel, it came out light brown but ok.
I applied it to my long and big Jaeger barrel, to my surprise, first shot it came out a light but even brown the full length of the barrel, second coat, WOW!!
This stuff is great!
I did steel wool and degreased with varasol and alcohol prior to browning, to remove any chance of oil or finger prints.
Well guys/gals I have to say this Mark Lee browning solution works easy and great.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Craig Wilcox

Re: Browning solution
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 03:27:09 PM »
Probably a shock to see you didn't get what you ordered - but awful good of you to at least try it out.

And glad to see that it was a success!  Does it get darker with succeeding coats?  Show us some pics, Fred!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 04:48:08 PM »
Yes Fred, we want pictures of the whole gun as well!.....not just barrel!

Iktomi

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 07:10:36 PM »
Is that the stuff you apply to hot metal and reacts really fast?

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 08:25:54 PM »
I've used the Mark Lee Browning and it gives a smooth very even plum brown. 
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...