Author Topic: Kibler Colonial in the white  (Read 2157 times)

richs

Kibler Colonial in the white
« on: September 04, 2018, 02:50:26 AM »
I've read the comments as to how easy it is to build a Kibler Colonial kit but I wish to know if I order one built "in the white", how much polishing and filing is needed to complete the rifle?  Do the "in the white" rifles require much more then just staining the wood?

I would assume that the standard kit has the same finished parts as the "in the white" gun so filing and polishing should be the same.

Thanks,
Rich

brokenflint

Re: Kibler Colonial in the white
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 04:55:45 AM »
Yes you will need to do all the metal file work, polishing etc as well as the wood finish of your choice.  I have one about 80% percent in the white at the moment.  Will Take some photos tomorrow to give you an idea of what you are looking at.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 05:31:14 AM »
I'd ask the Kibler's.  "In the white" seems to mean different things to different people.  To me, in the white, in those terms, would mean ready to finish. Metal prepped. Wood ready for final sanding/scraping.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 06:43:00 PM »
And I agree with Mauser.  An "in the white" piece should be complete except for finishing. You get to color the barrel, and other metal bits.  And you get to stain and put the finish on the wooden part.  really saves a lot of work for the buyer, and sometimes well worth it.  Not everyone can build a successful rifle for one reason or another.  But you still get to enjoy the sport.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Oprod

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 05:28:08 AM »
I just did his southern rifle. I file drawn the barrel in about 4 hours. Took about about 12 hours to file and sand paper up to a 320 grit the rest of the parts, so all in all not too bad!

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 06:12:11 AM »
Don't guess, just email Jim Kibler and he'll answer your question.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 04:30:46 PM »
EXACTLY!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 06:45:19 PM »
Sorry for the late reply.  Been pretty busy lately...  When we put a rifle together "in the white" here is what it means.

rifle is completely assembled and fully functional
stock is sanded to approximately 220 grit
barrel is draw filed
hardware is polished (with exception of locks and double set triggers)

Hope this helps,
Jim