Author Topic: Swamped Barrel Forearms  (Read 1604 times)

Offline yellowhousejake

Swamped Barrel Forearms
« on: September 17, 2018, 02:48:37 AM »
Howdy,

I have a seemingly simple question I have been unable to answer for myself. I have several books on building and Vol1 of RCA, but the answer still is unclear to me.

When you build with a swamped barrel, the edge of the forearm where it meets the barrel remains a consistent thickness. It appears that the width of the forearm remains a consistent thickness as well in the pictures I have (parallel sides the full length of the rifle). So, does the shape (Swell?) of the forearm change as it passes from the forward lock area to the muzzlecap? I would think it must, or there is something in the pictures that I am not seeing.

I really need to handle real rifles.

DAve

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Swamped Barrel Forearms
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 03:56:16 AM »
Not sure why this feels like it should be different than on a straight barrel.  It is exactly the same, the thickness of the wood beside the barrel.  The difference is, the barrel is tapering and flaring.  But at any given point along the barrel, the width of the wood is the same as it would be on a stock for a straight barrel.

In the fore-arm area from the lock to the entry thimble, an egg or elliptical shape is typical. On a swamped barrel this part of the stock tapers in width along with the barrel, of course.  Top to bottom this egg shape may taper slightly from the guard to the entry thimble. 

Then there is a transition to a fore-end shape at the rear thimble, to the muzzle.  This can have different shapes depending on the style of gun, but again, at any given point, it’s the same as on a straight barreled gun.  It just has to flare as the barrel flares.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 04:13:35 AM »
You're only talking a few thousandths, to maybe a tenth.
Remember,..... slim is what it about.  If you left it straight, I think it would be more noticeable, and, well,  fatter.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 05:08:26 AM »
Dave,

The thickness of the wood on each side of the barrel should be uniform from the lock panels to the muzzle.  This holds true whether the barrel is straight or swamped.  With a swamped barrel, the wood under the barrel should be thinner at the muzzle and breech, and a little thicker toward the center, because the ramrod hole/groove is a straight line.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline mtlonghunter

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 06:22:20 AM »
About the strait ramrod groove, I've known a few builders who cut the groove strait when the breech and muzzle are just touching their perspective depths and the bottom of the barrel channel is a strait cut  on the bottom flat. However the waist of the barrel is not touching. They then pull the wood up to the barrel and pin the under lugs causing a curved ramrod groove. Holds the ramrod well and eccentuates the swamp in the barrel. For what it's worth.

Offline yellowhousejake

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 02:22:50 AM »
Not sure why this feels like it should be different than on a straight barrel.  It is exactly the same, the thickness of the wood beside the barrel.  The difference is, the barrel is tapering and flaring.  But at any given point along the barrel, the width of the wood is the same as it would be on a stock for a straight barrel.

In the fore-arm area from the lock to the entry thimble, an egg or elliptical shape is typical. On a swamped barrel this part of the stock tapers in width along with the barrel, of course.  Top to bottom this egg shape may taper slightly from the guard to the entry thimble. 

Then there is a transition to a fore-end shape at the rear thimble, to the muzzle.  This can have different shapes depending on the style of gun, but again, at any given point, it’s the same as on a straight barreled gun.  It just has to flare as the barrel flares.

That is what I was thinking but could not verbalize. It does make sense to me now.

Thank you everyone for your answers.

DAve

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 12:24:38 AM »
I always sweep the forestock to match the barrel swamp. It is very subtle when looking at the gun, but it makes such a difference to give some life to the forestock.  Often it's easier to feel the transition with your hands.

You don't see a bird or a fish with straight lines. Everything is always a taper or a transition.

It's often impossible to tell by a photo all the tapers and transitions in the forestock (click on the photo to enlarge).

« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 12:25:30 AM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.