Author Topic: First model Virginia Manufactory rifle info  (Read 1091 times)

Offline moodyholler

First model Virginia Manufactory rifle info
« on: September 08, 2018, 04:02:58 PM »
Anyone ever built one? What thimbles did you use? Any good pics besides Cromwells book. I have a Rayl barrel and a walnut plank. Castings are coming from TRS. Thanks, moodyholler

TP

Re: First model Virginia Manufactory rifle info
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 12:50:30 AM »
Good to hear, they are wonderful rifles.  Cromwell is going to be your best source but there is also good information in George D. Moller's
American Military Shoulder Arms, Volume II: From the 1790s to the End of the Flintlock Period

Will you be using brass or iron furniture?  The First Model Rifle had round sheet metal pipes (no facets) with rings front and back. 

You can do a search at the Virginia Museum of History & Culture's website - https://www.virginiahistory.org/, they have an excellent collection of rifles, muskets, pistols, bayonets, swords and other items from and having to do with the Virginia Manufactory of Arms.  If you live within a couple hours drive of Richmond, Va., it may be worthwhile to take a trip to see some of the items. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 12:51:31 AM by TP »

Offline KC

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 04:19:08 PM »
I read about those recently and was really intrigued by them. I was interested in the early first models after I saw one Clay Smith built with the Rattlesnake patchbox. Thanks for posting the info links. I emailed The Rifle Shoppe several times and called and left messages asking about their castings and never heard back. I don’t understand how they stay in business. Maybe I’m on some sort of a black list for wanting to spend too much money there. I keep saying I’ll stop trying but then see stuff like these Virginia Manufactory rifles where they’re the only source for parts. Probably for the better anyway, I don’t think I have the skills yet to build from castings and a plank, I just thought I’d collect the parts just in case I ever do develop the skills.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline VP

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 02:37:54 AM »
One of the best sources is auction sites. First Model Virginia rifles show up from time to time. A couple nice examples within the last few months. I think Cowans has one on its site now.

VP