Author Topic: Lock for Tennessee Rifle  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Lock for Tennessee Rifle
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2018, 05:14:23 PM »
I managed to scrounge up a John Bailes from L&R today. At least its English. I am assuming that the little tail at the back of the lock dates to a bit too early for a Tennessee rifle. If I just round off the back of the it should be good. I am using a swamped B profile 50 caliber barrel. 44 inches long. The lock is fairly small, but I think it will work just fine.
The tail on the lock was still being used in the percussion era so don't worry about it. As previously stated the locks exported by Birmingham America were often well behind state of the art in England, the ones to Africa perhaps even older designs.
This is a pre-1835-36 Tryon marked lock (marking is a dater). Note that this percussion plate has all the bevels one would expect on a FL plate and male have been forged in the die for a FL plate. By 1810 or even before the high end English FL locks had flat plates with no bevel. So the shaping of this lock is "well behind the times" so to speak. This lock has the tail squared off. This seems to be fairly common at the time.
Dan
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 05:15:36 PM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2018, 05:21:49 PM »
These are locks from two mid 1830s J&S Hawken  rifles. One has a plate very much like a FL plate dating back to the 1780s in England and the other is a variant plate that is completely flat as later locks were. I tried posting this with the earlier post but the wizard in the box was fighting me.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 05:22:18 PM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Birddog6

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2018, 03:24:35 PM »
I would not consider anything but a Chambers Late Ketland lock for a Tenn. rifle.   It is up to you whether
you round off the tail of it or not, (probably see more of them rounded than not)

Performance  & reliability wise, IMHO no lock on the market will serve you as well as a Chambers built lock.

I agree with Mike, save the Siler for a different rifle.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2018, 11:39:48 PM »
Thanks 54.  So much eye candy in one place.  Whooah!

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie