Author Topic: Relief engraving  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Ron Scott

Relief engraving
« on: September 16, 2018, 08:45:18 PM »
I am building a medium grade Jaeger Rifle and chose a Davis Colonial Lock, as it was the closest match at the time. Here is a before and after photo of the cock. It is less detailed that the original I used as a model. I am hoping this will inspire some of you to modify locks to fit your projects.

Offline Tim

• Just an ordinary Guy from Alabama.
Re: Relief engraving
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 09:12:48 PM »
Your work is beautiful and very inspirational. That kind of skill takes years to develop.
Tim

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 09:43:48 PM »
Hi Ron: Nice looking. What do you use for the background stipling if I worded that correctly?

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 12:13:50 AM »
I did some modifications to the Chambers Late Ketland for an English rifle.  First, the "hook" at the top of the cock turns the wrong way for me.  Just personal preference, but I like the look of the "hook" turning forward.  Harder to do, but it looks more graceful to me.  Here is how the cock came on the lock:

I TIG welded a blob of steel on the top of the cock.  Here is how it looked before filing.....the look I was going for is shown at the right on another cock I made many years ago:

After a little grinding and filing, it came out like this:

I also like the look of a more "waterproof" pan, so I decided to modify that as well.  Here is the pan the way the lock comes....

After some filing and polishing, it looks like this.....

I don't have all the parts done yet, but this photo shows the plate with the modified pan and the cock with the altered curl at the top......

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 05:09:27 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 08:16:51 AM »
Very nice work, I really like the waterproof pan look.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 04:24:39 PM »
The background was created with a beading punch. This one is a #8. They can be purchased from Engraver.com for about $0.80 each. They don't have a long life span stippling steel, so buying several is a good idea. There are a wide range of sizes for different size projects.  The foliate elements were  shaped using small diamond files, followed by ceramic stones, polished and then detailed with a graver.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 04:56:55 PM »
Very nice work Ron, I like the cock screw as well!!  Please show us the whole (even unfinished) project!.....And the one you are copying.   :-)

Nice work too, Dave C.

The cock finial direction depends on time period, but you have done a Very nice job!

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 07:16:38 PM »
David, as usual, your work is impeccable!  Great attention to detail.  Keep snapping the photos for us.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 11:10:46 PM »
Beautiful work on the Cock, Ron. How much time does something like that take?

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 12:16:02 AM »
That's very nice work, Ron. It really changes the whole look of the piece.

I see you put a lot of file work into the cock before you started engraving. There is a lot of meat on those bones, and the work you did gives the piece a lot more elegance.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 12:22:09 AM »
Really nice work Ron.
I hope you're going to show us the whole thing when it's done.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell