Author Topic: Is 360 brass yellow like sheet brass we use for patchboxes?  (Read 992 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Is 360 brass yellow like sheet brass we use for patchboxes?
« on: September 19, 2018, 06:29:31 PM »
I need to get some 1/16” and 1/8” brass for pins and rivets and want it to match the sheet brass offered many places for nut stocks like us who build longrifles.  I see some of 360 brass alloy.  Good color match?
Andover, Vermont

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: Is 360 brass yellow like sheet brass we use for patchboxes?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 07:28:45 PM »
360 yellow brass is the ideal brass for gun castings and should be a very good match. It is probably the most flexible brass alloy. It is commonly used for sheet brass and cartridge cases.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 08:03:24 PM »
I have lots of it and it matches up identically to cartridge brass, i.e. the stuff Reaves used for castings etc.  It will NOT match most of the wax castings available, although I can't speak to all of them; supposedly Zornes wax cast stuff is actually yellow.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 12:38:58 AM »
260 is cartridge brass, I believe. 360 is machining brass.

Dunno about the color, but back when I was trying to swage a buttplate I had little success until I got some 260 brass instead of the generic brass sheet. If easy cold-forming is a concern I know that 260 works well.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling