Author Topic: Orrigional B.C. plum brown  (Read 3148 times)

Offline patchbox

• Starting Member
Orrigional B.C. plum brown
« on: June 19, 2009, 04:03:23 PM »
I have some original Birchwood Casey Plum Brown barrel finish That I purchased about 25 years ago. It was discontinued years ago due to the mercury content. I am considering using it on an iron mounted rifle that I am building. I know that it produced a nice deep brown Finnish and after heating the metal worked in a matter of minutes. Any comments regarding the use of it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance......Chuck P.

Offline Jim Chambers

Re: Orrigional B.C. plum brown
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 04:07:11 PM »
Call Brownells and order some Mark Lee Express Brown.  It works even better than the BC stuff and has no mercury. 

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 04:43:01 PM »
I was only successful at browning smaller parts with it. I could never get a barrel heated uniformly enough to produce a good job. Use it for locks, screws, triggers, etc. but try a slow brown for the barrel.

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 05:19:48 PM »
I did a few guns with it when I first started building. My recollection is that I had trouble getting an even color with it on the barrels, too, but it did even out after several applications. I did like the final result.

The fumes will make you gag, though. I didn't realize I was breathing mercury. Oh well, you have to die from something.

Dale H

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 06:33:33 PM »
Because I was stupid enough to use BC hot brown one time in an unventilated basement years ago, I was sick for a month. After all the "monkeying around" to get an even brown which didn't happen, a low cloud of toxic fumes did me in.  I must be allergic to some chemicals, because even the cold browns affect me slightly......Fred

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 06:44:40 PM »
Uniform heat is the key to getting a good result.  I have a couple of guns done in the 1970's with that brown and they still look good.  I thought it was great stuff.
Andover, Vermont

Offline rsells

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 07:05:03 PM »
I used the Plumb Brown browning chemicals to do my rifles for years with good results.  I did have issues with getting consistant heat and even color, but I worked it out by bead blasting the metal parts, degreasing them well, and getting  consistant heat.  If you look close under good light you can see the chemical work on the metal surface and be able to tell when and where you need to add heat.  However, their new product doesn't work as well for me and I started using Davis cold brown or Homer Dangler's browning solution to do my rifles.  They give a good dark even brown color after two or three days and is durable.  Today, I use the Plum Brown solution to do screws and small parts.
                                                                                   Roger Sells