Author Topic: Finishing browned parts  (Read 6015 times)

billd

Finishing browned parts
« on: June 22, 2009, 07:38:51 PM »
What do most use to put the final finish on browned parts.....BP, TR, Thimbles, ect. ?

I've heard linseed oil, motor oil, transmission fluid, is any better than the other?

Thanks,
Bill

Scott Semmel

Re: Finishing browned parts
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 07:53:57 PM »
It is the only time I use linseed oil. Don't know the veracity but the theory is a petroleum based oil especially a penetrating petroliun based oil will soften the finish and linseed won't.

Ephraim

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 08:05:15 PM »
I warm the parts and rub on bees wax then buff with a wool sock.
Ephraim

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 09:31:27 PM »
I use plenty of new motor oil on a pad of cloth, and liberally soak the newly browned, killed, and dry part.  I continue to wipe the parts down for several days, if the solution is not completely flushed, and continues to work.  Don't let the browning go dry, and light rust coloured.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

erdillonjr

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 10:24:06 PM »
I use linseed oil. Warm the parts and apply the linseed oil. After the parts cool wipe off the parts with a lint free cloth. ED

Offline B.Habermehl

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 11:18:11 PM »
I use motor oil intended foe deisel engines. I apply it to the hot barrel or parts asoon as I lift them out of  boiling water (rust blue) or Hot baking soda water.for a brown. Hot as in some what too hot to comfortably put my hands in.
BJH

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 12:41:57 AM »
I use Outer's Gun Grease, on a piece of clean cloth or paper towel, rubbed in vigorously.  

On newly browned parts, I leave a thick coating on for several days, then wipe off with a clean cloth and install the parts.

On finished guns, I re-apply a thin coat to all steel parts after every shooting/cleaning session.

-Ron
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:47:49 AM by KyFlinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 09:26:09 AM »
Johnson's paste wax.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 05:17:01 PM »
I flush the part with plenty of soap and hot water, dry it, then paste wax the part while it's still warm.

Black Hand

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 05:25:46 PM »
Brown, neutralize with Baking soda paste and coat with deer tallow.  Sometimes I will come back with beeswax over the tallow.

Offline rick landes

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 07:55:45 PM »
What do most use to put the final finish on browned parts.....BP, TR, Thimbles, ect. ?

I've heard linseed oil, motor oil, transmission fluid, is any better than the other?

Thanks,
Bill

I use BLO in very thin rubbed in amts on a very warm part. After about 3-4 coats I then apply 2 coats of Min-wax paste wax. I let the wax get quite dry and hard and rub out the excess wax with a terry cloth type of fabric.
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

billd

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 01:31:13 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. It seems like there's as many ways to finish browning as there are gunmakers.  BLO is what I usedyears ago but I don't have any on hand. I tried a coat of Eric's linseed oil last night. No after rust so far. I'll put a coat of paste wax on in a day or two.

I'll post pictures this weekend.

Thanks,
Bill

docwhite

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 05:41:49 PM »
Here is another variation. I use a hot brown. Once browned, I wash the part, dry then squirt it down with liberal amounts of Brownell's rust prerventing drying oil. This gets rid of loose/excess/poor brown. If the brown is not good enouph, then I de-grease and brown again. Then re-oil. Once the oil is dry- takes about three days, I rub down with liquid wax and rub down. DOC